This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How can I allow my toddler to meet a dog?
05-23-2014, 06:33 AM

IMO if you don't have family (or a friend) that will let you borrow a dog that you know well personally for her to meet and/or interact with then forget about it. You don't want to go around introducing her to dogs that you don't know (and know well) - toddlers and dogs are one of those iffy combinations to begin with, let alone a toddler with no prior experience and a strange dog you know nothing about. I could very easily see a bite happen.

A shelter is a bad idea all around. The noise and smell alone may scare her. And the dogs are bound to be hyperactive from being kenneled, and not all shelters behavior-test. The risk to her is high. The experience may terrify her and it will waste the shelters time, for sure. Pet stores are an option but honestly, puppies are even worse - nipping, peeing... again, could terrify her. Again, high risk to her.

Could you not research therapy dog groups in the area and contact them to see if they have or know of any dogs that go around to children's schools and/or day care centers? My mom used to work at a school that brought in a therapy dog to "read to" the kids once or twice a year. That sort of dog would be the ideal introduction for a toddler. Well trained and socialized and not likely to nip, knock her over, overwhelm her, etc.

She's only two - i wouldn't become obsessed yourself over this. At least not to the extent of actively looking for a friend who has a dog just because your toddler is obsessed with them! Seems a bit silly considering she has her whole life to be introduced to the dog world. There is no rush. Find the right dog and the right time. She can wait.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - Alex - 05-23-2014, 05:51 AM
[] - CDog - 05-23-2014, 05:54 AM
[] - Suzie - 05-23-2014, 05:58 AM
[] - Ocimom - 05-23-2014, 06:02 AM
[] - JenVT - 05-23-2014, 06:09 AM
[] - NewfieMom - 05-23-2014, 06:21 AM
[] - TrendyK9 - 05-23-2014 06:33 AM
[] - Ammy - 05-23-2014, 06:43 AM
[] - Verulam 2 - 05-23-2014, 06:53 AM