This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31 Year old with 10 year restaurant management background needs career advice. What else might I be good at?
05-27-2013, 03:36 PM
31 Year old with 10 year restaurant management background needs career advice. What else might I be good at?
I know it is a very open ended question, but I need some suggestions. Here is a little background about me. It might take a few minutes to read.

I am a 32 year old male who stopped working for a family business that owns a franchise of 5 restaurants in March 2013. Throughout my 10 year tenure in restaurant management, I have worked in lower management and worked my way up all the way to VP of Operations for the same company. I have never worked anywhere other than a restaurant, so I am experienced in all aspects of the business with the exception of short order cooking. (my family's restaurant is a specialty restaurant chain that does not require much short order cooking.)

That lack of experience in cooking has halted my ability to succeed at a recently offered and taken restaurant management position. Though I love the restaurant business, I think it is time for a change. Restaurant management sucks the life out of most people. At 55 hours plus a week, it is difficult to have any quality of life.

I am looking for a career change, or I would possible like to go back to school. I left college after 1 year to work for my family.

here are some of my skills

Management - I have managed 16 year old teenagers to 60 year old grandmothers. I have managed hourly employees and salaried managers. I know how to train and motivate people while creating a stable work environment.I am also a very good judge of character.

Guest relations - I am very good with people. I make positive impressions and am very friendly and well spoken. I am very good a dissolving negative feelings from guests/customers.

Organization - Though i am pretty messy at home, I know how to stay organized and neat in the workplace.

Attention to detail - Many things don't get past me. If I'm educated in what I am managing, I very easily notice problems and incorrect procedures.

Numbers- I am pretty good at basic arithmetic. I can add numbers in my head fast and accurately. I can come up with percentages in my head somewhat quickly too. (very close in range) I kinda like math! :-)

Computers- I have a lot of computer skills. I learn computer programs very quickly. I can type pretty fast. I am very proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel. I have created numerous spreadsheets that have helped with the accounting at my previous job.

Writing - Though I don't consider myself to be any kind of artistic writer, I do think I am able to explain things well from a keyboard. I am sure I don't always punctuate correctly, and I make a lot of spelling mistakes, but I have always thought my writing ability was above average.

Minor Accounting - for 2 years, I held a lot of the books and managed most of the money at my previous job. I maintained multiple bank accounts, created profit and loss reports through the accounting program, and like mentioned before, I created spreadsheets in Excel to maintain proper accounting.

Minor Marketing skills - For 2 years, I managed most of the marketing at my previous job. I met with sales people and scheduled commercials, set up mailer coupons, and monitored social media marketing.

Problem Solving- I am quick and effective at solving problems within the workplace. Broken equipment, staffing issues, guest relations, staff relations, inventory issues are just a few examples.

Minor Human resources- Since i pretty much ran the company at my previous job, I had to know a lot about human resources. Sexual Harassment, FMLA, Labor laws, Hostile work environment. Ect Ect...

That sums up most of the things that I think i am good at. There are many other things I have been successful at, but I wanted to name to things that I thought would apply to most workplace skills.

I have no problem staying in management, but i want a career where I don't have to work 12 hour days, come into work at 5:00am, or stay until 3:00am. I'm not asking for a 9 to 5 Monday through Friday job either. I don't mind starting off entry level and working my way up. I am a go getter. I have no problem working hard, but I would like a career that is no more than 50 hours a week.

I have no problem going back to school before I start my new career. I am only 31 and I would have no problem getting a serving or bar tending job to supplement my income while in school. I would be pretty much starting school from scratch, so if school is your advice, should I go for AA, BA, MA???

So the Big question is, What other careers would I be good at coming from restaurant management? I am just looking for ideas. I don't expect anyone to have a definite answer.

Thank you very much for reading!

Bryan

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
31 Year old with 10 year restaurant management background needs career advice. What else might I be good at? - Bryan - 05-27-2013 03:36 PM
[] - Jackie m - 05-27-2013, 03:41 PM
[] - Kevin Clarke - 05-27-2013, 03:49 PM