This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
You wanna know why modern day Liberals not classical Liberals want bigger Government?
10-13-2012, 05:34 PM

By what do you measure governmental size? By its spending? By the number of its employees? By the number of functions it performs? If this is about spending, it is a little off the track to ask for "big" or "small" government... in some cases, increasing spending serves everyone; in other cases, it's decreasing it which better serves them macroeconomically.

I would matain along with Chumsky and other anarchists that power is to be assumed illegitimate as coordinating tool until satisfying justification of its use is provided. Everytime we devise a rule collectively, that we agree on a procedure, we in effect suspend our exercise of freedom in some regard to our future... I would certainly be ready to concede the right to skip red lights at will, if my concession and general respect of such law of traffic favored a reciprocal respect from the part of others. If anything, I call that a transaction and it is certainly not aliberal, nor illeberal to accept such terms.

In essence and upfront, there is nothing in the government that is wrong. Superficially, laws are voted by elected candidates and are subject to contestation, both in courts and through manifestations. To evaluate their viability and consistency with the principle of individual freedom, you need to consider each measure one by one, although not in isolation from others.

A true supporter of freedom doesn't look at whether the government is big or not; he's questionning whether he has AN EQUAL POWER TO THAT OF OTHERS WITH REGARD TO THE DECISION PROCESS WHICH HE SUFFERS.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - Pragmatism Please - 10-13-2012, 05:34 PM
[] - Matthew D Rises - 10-13-2012, 05:34 PM
[] - Derecho - 10-13-2012, 05:34 PM
[] - Ultimate - 10-13-2012, 05:34 PM
[] - Goo Goo Monkey - 10-13-2012, 05:34 PM
[] - Jacara - 10-13-2012, 05:34 PM
[] - faithfulConqueror235 - 10-13-2012, 05:34 PM
[] - Nicholas J - 10-13-2012, 05:34 PM
[] - Let There Be Love - 10-13-2012 05:34 PM