This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Are social networks considered a form of media?
10-14-2012, 07:42 PM
Are social networks considered a form of media?
I'm doing an assignment on forms of media for college and other than television and radio, I really don't know any other forms of media off the top of my head. I have an idea for the assignment, if in fact social networking sites like Facebook are considered media. Thanks for the help.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-14-2012, 07:50 PM

Yep. Social networks and other uses of the internet can be media. Also the newspaper is a type of media. And books. Lol. It's funny that you left those out and could only think of TV and radio. Definitely a sign of the times.

Ads

Of course. Socially over the web it is morally a structure of life.

A while back there was an earthquake in my area. Of course nobody knew that it was an earthquake as it was only a shake. The reason I'm telling you this story is because I learned about it through facebook rather than flipping to the news. The news actually had to wait a while to report it.

So overall I would say that facebook and other social media a form of "media" in that it provides people with latest information, but it might not be facts just opinions of the subject. Going back to the earthquake, I learned it was an earthquake because somebody posted a feed that god is angry at us because we did not repent enough.

So there ya have it. Social media can be trusted to give you quicker news but I don't think it can be trusted in giving accurate news without you taking the time to research it after the fact(s).