This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Should I stop watching anime?
03-24-2014, 10:48 AM
Should I stop watching anime?
So I am a male sophomore in high school now, and I just began watching the horror anime "Another" this last week, since I have always had a secret fascination of Asian culture and horror stories. The show had a great story and depressing mood that I really enjoyed. I especially enjoyed scenes such as when the characters were talking in a coffee shop during the snowy winter of Japan or when they were hanging out in a Japanese school. But, as soon as I went to school I started to talk less to my friends and become more antisocial every time I thought about a sad song or scene from "Another," especially since anime is considered "uncool" and I have a somewhat popular image. Also, my friends talk more about American media, which Anime has made me less interested in. This continued for the whole week, and every day I just waited to go home after school, watch "Another," and long for a life in Japan that I can never have; I was turning into such an escapist. It also made me talk less to my family and not do my homework. I gradually became more depressed, and by the end of the week I decided that I needed to finish the anime for my own good, so I watched the last five episodes all in one night. It had such a beautiful ending that I actually cried for the first time in years and it felt great. But, when I went back to school I started to feel like a weak anime nerd and act weird after so much exposure to Japanese culture. Is this normal when you first start to watch anime? Do you eventually get used to it after watching more anime? Or does anime make you more antisocial? Should I stop watching it for my own good? I'm worried that I might turn into an otaku and completely ruin my social image if i continue to watch it. Please let me know if you have helpful advice or can relate in any way, thanks!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 10:56 AM

You dont have to stop watching it. Just watch it once a week or something.

Ads

03-24-2014, 11:01 AM

Theres nothing wrong with watching anime. but it can't take over your life.
Get a bit exited to watch once your at home, but make sure your not neglecting (weird word ik) your school and homelife. :3 hopwe this helps
03-24-2014, 11:10 AM

Hobbies are okay, but don't fail school because of it! Seriously, there's nothing wrong with watching anime (I watch Pokemon sometimes). Who cares if other people don't like it? Take bronys for example. Be like them, except just don't shove it down other peoples' throats. I don't care what other people think about my interests. I actually like being different.
03-24-2014, 11:11 AM

I wouldn't really say antisocial it's that there aren't really a lot of Americans watching it especially teens. I watch it and I'm a freshman. I'm kinda antisocial but it's just how it is when you get I to it. Watch Sword Art Online to bring your mood up. It wouldn't really matter what others are thinking though. Since your popular they should respect you if ya know what I'm sayin. I do less homework too but you get use to it and finish it at the same time. Plus just find people who have something in common.
03-24-2014, 11:19 AM

It took you a week to watch a 13 episode anime you were addicted on? That's too little, I say. If I try and don't mess around on the internet, I can finish a 13 episode anime in 3 school days, one I don't like also. So no. You're not addicted to anime. I've been stunned into shock from anime too. Like last night, I finished reading the Battle Royale manga. That manga is awesome man, it was all I could think about first block at school today.

I became anti-social before I become addicted to anime, so whether it makes you anti-social I am unaware of. But don't be worried about your image! Anime is cool, and anyone who hates on you for it is an idiot. Why should you care about your social image? If you friends hate on you for watching anime, then they aren't your true friends.

So you'll be fine. Keep watching anime. Try Higurashi no Naku Koro ni or something, that's kind of like Another. Or try the manga Uzumaki, that's another good horror. And stay confident! Believe in yourself, no matter what!
03-24-2014, 11:25 AM

I'll not take offense to the 'otaku' comment since I consider myself to be one. Dude, since when does it matter if anime is cool or not? Anime is anime. I watch it because I enjoy it. So what if your friends don't like it. You don't have to be interested in what they are just because you hang out with them. A real friend wouldn't give a crap about your hobbies and interests. I agree that you shouldn't let it rule your life. Just cut it down a bit if you start to get obsessive with it. Show some self discipline and make sure that you've got everything taken care of before you watch. Think of it as a reward. You do your homework/chores, whatever you have to do. And then you get to have your anime time (however long, 1 episode maybe). I mean, I totally understand where you're coming from. I got to where I was doing no schoolwork and just watching anime all the time. I realized this was a problem, and I cut it down, but not completely out. Don't worry about it not being 'cool' or anything. If you like it, then watch it. It's as simple as that. Good luck bro.
03-24-2014, 11:34 AM

Anime is a hobby, entrainment, but will never become your life. When I first started watching anime, I was like you. I was ashamed of watching anime, but I did realize I love anime. To other anime it might not be a great thing; however, you shouldn&#x27;t stop if you love anime. Also I don&#x27;t think it wrong to be exited about something, also being a little bit different mean your growing and gaining a new view of what&#x27;s around you.
03-24-2014, 11:43 AM

I'm also a sophomore in High School :O brofist

I'm kinda the guy in the back you don't notice much, but that's because I don't really stand out. I still have a lot of friends (and not a single one watches anime).

I used to have the same problem as you. the way I dealt with it is that I made myself stop watching anime and only watched an episode every time I did something to improve myself (EX: make a new friend, get an A on a test, harrass the teacher, etc). And surprisingly, it worked!

Also wearing a penguin hat with mittens helps, here's the one I got: http://www.amazon.com/Penguin-Plush-Anim...enguin+hat