This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Would you agree with this statement?
03-24-2014, 04:34 PM
Would you agree with this statement?
I heard someone say that "Many of the people in this world are egotistical, greedy, selfish, ignorant, unwilling to accept the truth, indulgent, disrespectful destructive and manipulative."
@Tad Dubious I'm sure he didn't mean all. Besides, ego exists in all of us. I think that people have become blind to the fact that we reflect one and other. We're also being unconsciously controlled by media and the struggle to survive. Money driven. A good portion of us want more than what is actually necessary for our survival. On top of that, we have trouble sharing.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 04:39 PM

Yeah... I'm one of them.

Ads

03-24-2014, 04:45 PM

yes
03-24-2014, 04:55 PM

I would not, Daze. "Many" presumes the majority, and I rest assured that ALL of the people on this planet don't know the majority of the people on this planet, so nobody is qualfied to make such a sweeping statement accurately.
What you heard is a sweeping generalization - an assumption - and I would strongly disagree.
03-24-2014, 04:58 PM

Ya I agree.
03-24-2014, 04:59 PM

Ya
03-24-2014, 05:00 PM

I agree
03-24-2014, 05:03 PM

Yes, I would agree.
I don't take "many" to connote majority, though.

And the proportion of people who fulfill that above description definitely varies a great deal by environment.

Certain occupations draw in those types, and encourage and breed those characteristics, because those with them excel. And it becomes that much more of a self perpetuating spiral as it becomes the norm, just the way it's done "here" or in that "world", so anyone behaving otherwise is the one deviating.

And obviously, physical locations tend to have a particular field of occupation that most people there are involved in. So then that physical area becomes a slower part of that same spiral.

I admit that I can certainly bring a stereotypical "type" to mind when I read that description. And it comes from both media and personal experience. This typing got solidified when I moved to a place where I wound up personally interacting on a daily basis with people who fit that description and help to propagate that stereotype.
And media literacy has always been something important to me, so I like to think I recognize before or when that stuff is about to start to build undue connotations.

There are people and communities and social environments that eschew and see through those traits as well, though. Most of those "egotistical, greedy, selfish, ignorant, unwilling to accept the truth, indulgent, disrespectful destructive and manipulative" people tend to naturally gravitate away from these other environments in favour of the ones that favour their traits, just because they can get more in the other places. And I think a lot of those people used to those other traits find kinder, generous, thoughtful people weird, confusing and unsettling. Or they just don't like them because they're "hippies" or something like that.
And then there are the one that stick around the nicer-types specifically to irritate people. Those are the people who are really f---ed up.
03-24-2014, 05:12 PM

Yea, just look at the countries of the third world. You think if most people didn't have these characteristics there would be bloody civil wars and so much hatred among people?