This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Would the GOP be better off if they moderated their positions?
03-24-2014, 04:49 PM
Would the GOP be better off if they moderated their positions?
The GOP has become so extreme they are chasing away voters. I would vote GOP if they were more reasonable on abortion, taxes, gays, social security, bringing our jobs home and a host of other items.

But the GOP seems to ignore the will of the majority and stick to an extremist view.

Why? What is the GOP seeing that the rest of us are missing?
@Liberals - apparently you don't read the news. Many states, TX in particular, is deeply involved in an outrageous war on women and on choice. North Dakota may aw well be governed by the Taliban. You will be judged by the company you keep - if you support extremists like TX and ND then be prepared to be dismissed as a misogynist, anti-freedom extremist.
@Ryde - of course, missing the issue. The point is not to convince Robert Reich to vote Republican [or the Bircher Koch brothers to vote Democratic] - the point is to switch the independent middle. But thanks, keep ignoring the GOP migration towards authoritarian fascism, future President Clinton appreciates it.
@Starsfan - no, I don't want you to compromise your morals - I just won't allow you to impose your morals on me. If I am faced with any situation I will decide what is best for me. You don't get a vote. If a 15 year-old girl, one crack addicted mother, no father, no husband, no diploma, decides an abortion is best for her, I will defend her right to obtain one. You don't get a vote. Taxes should cover expenditures - Economics 101. And yes, Virginia, there is a vicious War on Women. When a legislative body thinks it gets to legislate my wife's medical choices, that is a war.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 04:52 PM

most likely, but hey, I'm a dem so I don't mind the free votes they give us

Ads

03-24-2014, 04:54 PM

Their biggest problem is they are not willing to compromise.
03-24-2014, 04:58 PM

The GOP isn't "seeing" anything. They're totally missing the point that this isn't the America of twenty years ago. Whatever...works for me.
03-24-2014, 05:03 PM

No. They would be better off if they started telling the truth.
03-24-2014, 05:04 PM

Yes. They need to compromise more. Americans are desperate for some solutions to their problems, and they see Republicans as making sure nothing is done about those problems.

The GOP relies on conservative media to pin the blame for problems on Democrats and hopes enough voters fall for the brainwashing to win elections. That worked only once in the last 4 election cycles, so the GOP has also used extreme gerrymandering and playing fast and loose with election regulations to try to further tilt the electorate in their favor.
03-24-2014, 05:14 PM

If the republican party moved any farther left they'd be to the left of the democrats.
03-24-2014, 05:16 PM

The GOP is comprised of self-serving miscreants and moralizing fools. That said I cannot in good conscience vote democrat. Jane Harman was the last one I had any positive sentiment towards.
03-24-2014, 05:18 PM

Yes, they would be better off if they were more moderate on many social issues..

This is not the same party that I registered with in 1967...
03-24-2014, 05:19 PM

Not only has the GOP become more extreme, it's become more divided. There are now at least 3 distinct groups of conservatives: moderates like John McCain, Tea Partyers like Ted Cruz, and Libertarians like Rand Paul.

Each of these groups claims to be the "real" conservatives while labeling the others "RINOs." And despite the fact these groups have lots of common ground they choose to focus on their differences. This is a symptom of modern American conservatism - the inability to compromise.