This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Speedtest.net shows my internet download speed as 1.08 MBPS but.?
04-08-2014, 07:39 PM
Speedtest.net shows my internet download speed as 1.08 MBPS but.?
Speedtest.net shows my internet download speed as 1.08 MBPS but when I download, Speed is only 140Kbps. What the hell this is ??? My Internet is so slow..... Why ??? Even Google takes a Minute to open.
System Specs :
Linux ubuntu 12.04 LTS 32-Bit
Intel Celeron 900 @ 2.2Ghz
1GB DDR2 RAM
160GB SATA II HDD
Any help is appreciated ....

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 07:41 PM

You must be seeing your internet bandwidth. It refers to the volume of information per unit of time that an Internet connection can handle.

Here's a quick analogy: Data is to available bandwidth as water is to the size of the pipe. In other words, as the bandwidth increases, so does the amount of data that can flow through in a given amount of time, just like as the size of the pipe increases, so does the amount of water that can flow through during a period of time.
140kbps is about right

Ads

04-08-2014, 07:48 PM

Be very careful of using a capital B and small b in Mbps and MBps. b = bits, B = bytes. Bytes are 8 times bigger than bits, so it's not surprising, because 140 KBps = 1120 Kbps, which is 1.120 Mbps.
04-08-2014, 07:57 PM

it is very important to know the difference between KBps and Kbps
KBps is kilobytes per second while Kbps is kilobits per second

one byte is 8 bits... so the Kbps should be 8 times as large as the KBps in your case 1Mbps is about 125KBps so in reality you are getting the exact amount of speed you should be
04-08-2014, 08:06 PM

You might need to call your ISP.