This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
can attorney/lawyers find out confidential things concerning a social media site?
04-08-2014, 09:05 PM
can attorney/lawyers find out confidential things concerning a social media site?
Okay my friend made a fake instagram account about a girl at school. She lies a lot and makes up a lot of rumors about everyone and so he decided to make a fake instagram exploiting the 'true' her. Things got out of hand fast the next day the girls mom calls a whole bunch of parents saying if it isn't taken down by tomorrow then everyone will know who made it because she is a lawyer/attorney and she has friends who can contact instagram and they can and will find out who made the account. The person who made the account will obviously be in a lot of trouble. But i know who he is. Because hes my friend. And i don't want him to be in trouble but he doesn't believe they can find out who it is. He says that her mom probably just said that so he would take it down... so do you guys know rather or not someone could find out who made it. I dont want him to be in trouble or his family to be sewed or whatever and im worried about him.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 09:10 PM

So a girl does bad things and your friend retaliates by doing bad things back.

Makes a lot of sense.

Yes, they can likely track it back to whatever device was used.

Tell stupid friend to just take it down and avoid all this.

If he believes they can't track him and wants to leave it up - then it doesn't matter if you don't want him to get in trouble or not. No longer your business. If he's big enough to do this in the first place - then he's big enough to take the consequences if there are any.

I would wonder what his parents think about all this. If they know and don't have him take it down - then it's on them as well.

Ads

04-08-2014, 09:17 PM

From what I understand, a lawyer can threaten the site to have the page pulled down but can't get information on the page owner without a court order.
04-08-2014, 09:20 PM

It depends on the laws in your state. If your state has anti-bullying laws and these laws extend to online content = the mom doesn't even need to use her friend to get the information. All she has to do is go to the police and your friend might have a criminal bullying charge.

Your "friend" is pretty stupid to have done this. If you or anyone thinks it's cute or funny, you need to grow up a lot.

If you don't like this girl's actions or behaviors = don't be friends with her, but you don't need to ridicule her in public.
04-08-2014, 09:30 PM

It depends on where this is happening, but if there are anti-bullying laws it wouldn't be hard to subpoena that information. You need to understand something - the stuff your friend is doing has caused kids to kill themselves. If you actually care about your friend, get him to cut it out. If he is sued, he'll deserve it.