This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is there a way to stop being so sensitive? I'm so sensitive and I hate it!?
04-14-2014, 01:38 AM
Is there a way to stop being so sensitive? I'm so sensitive and I hate it!?
Hey, I just turned 15 last week and just got employed for my first job, however on my induction day people were saying how short and young I looked and I was so angry and sad, this always happens even when it's not personal, I take offense to something ridiculous and I'm a 15 yr old guy!! Especially when someone makes a remark bout my height (only like 157cm) or how young I look. I just wanna stop being so sensitive!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-14-2014, 01:39 AM

step 1: stop being a little bitch

Ads

04-14-2014, 01:41 AM

make a joke of it, if an older woman/man says that to wind you up, tell them sorry but I don't need another Mother/Father & laugh it off.
04-14-2014, 01:45 AM

You need to realize that you are your own worst critic. When someone says something like that, don't just stand there and feel bad. Either ignore it, or make light of their comment like it doesn't affect you. You could say something like... 'ya, I know... people in my family tend to age really well... even my dad looks great for his age'. If someone is looking to get a rise out of you, they will feed off of your negative reaction. If they are not successful in getting that reaction, it may even piss them off that you are so together that they can't affect you Smile. I'm telling you... this works. Also, what makes it easier to deal with, is knowing that people who put other people down, are not happy themselves. It could be that their parents or siblings put them down and they are really insecure. As a defense mechanism, they put others down to make themselves feel less insecure about their shortcomings. You need to find the strength that I *know* is inside of you. I've known some awesome short young-looking people, and I dated one as well. What these insecure people say about you does *not* define who you are. You *are* a strong, intelligent young person who I have every confidence in to deal with these types of situations. Don't feel bad, feel sorry for *them*. You are *not* the one with the problem. Continue to speak to them as you would a friend of yours, and they will not feed off your reaction. Hope that helps!
04-14-2014, 02:00 AM

When I was in my teens I hated the fact that I looked so young. I was still being asked for identification to prove I was 21 when I was 25. When I didn't get asked around my 26th birthday, I was just crushed. My nephew was asked for identification last year and put it on Facebook so we could all laugh. He's 36.

It's tough for a guy to be short. And people are probably telling you that you'll still grow until you're 18 or 19. I bet that doesn't help. Of course you're going to be sensitive about people pointing out your size and youthful face. Nobody likes to be told how they're different from most of the rest of the world.

It's also tough for a guy to be more sensitive that most other guys. While it's uncomfortable for you now. It can also pay off later. My favorite men have always been the sensitive ones. It means you're more aware of things. You're also more aware of your feelings. That's actually a good thing. I have counseled people who were unable to tell me what they were feeling.

So, how do you cope with this? It's all about how you talk to yourself. If you keep focusing on your disappointment about your height, you will feel embarrassment and sadness when someone points it out. If you keep berating God or your parents' genes for your height, you will get angry any time someone mentions it. You may even see some advantages to it someday. Look at the Hollywood actor Danny DeVito. He's short and not handsome, yet he has made a ton of money playing certain kinds of roles. You have to find role models that you want to look up to, instead of the media idols.

Look for people who have done good things with their lives and talent. If you focus on developing your talents and skills, and if you focus on helping others, no one will notice your height. They'll notice what a terrific person you are. If you focus your attention on getting to know people and looking for the best in them, they'll notice that you're friendly and that they feel good when you're around.

Our feelings actually follow our thoughts/beliefs/attitudes. If we change those or change our behavior, we'll feel better about life, ourselves, and everything. Best wishes for a new outlook.
04-14-2014, 02:12 AM

Yeh, get over it. Become the youngest manager on record of your company. View it as an occupational hazard. And btw, congratulations on your new job!