This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is it justified to celebrate one's biological traits - for example International Women's Day?
04-22-2014, 11:54 PM
Is it justified to celebrate one's biological traits - for example International Women's Day?
Being born female (or male) is a biological trait of an individual, based on the chromosome they inherit from their father - how justified is it to celebrate being of a particular sex?

BQ : Do you think it causes resentment to those people who do NOT get celebrated just because they do not possess those biological traits that are popularly celebrated?

For example - there IS an International men's day in November, but it is by no means celebrated to the extent as women's day is, infact most people are totally unaware of it. Does this make men feel resentful and unappreciated?
Another example would be, there being a Black history month, but no White history month. (but that's not a gender issue)

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-23-2014, 12:06 AM

WHY NOT.

Ads

04-23-2014, 12:19 AM

Most people didn't know it was Women's Day until it was pointed out to them and I have seen no celebration of it at all.

It's not about celebrating biological traits. It's about bringing attention to issues faced by a group of people. Use Men's Day to bring attention to whatever men's issues you like.
04-23-2014, 12:23 AM

I don't feel celebrated.
04-23-2014, 12:30 AM

I didn't even know about Women's Day until I came to GS. I'd hardly say that it's something "widely celebrated".
04-23-2014, 12:41 AM

The day is much more than whether somebody is born with a vagina or not.
04-23-2014, 12:54 AM

Hang on, did you say black people get a whole month and an interntional woman like me only gets a day? Hmph, I'm going off to sulk now. Kids at schools recently, celebrated World book Day so they could have got it over and done with by having an International Women in Books Day.

BQ - does it cause resentment? Only if a person could be arsed to get excited over something this silly.
04-23-2014, 01:05 AM

Sometimes people need to affirm their own worth. Your very example of Black history month points to this - we don't need a white history month - the libraries are full of history books, all talking about white history.
Women's achievements are often swept under the carpet, seen as inferior, or patronised.
I don't really put much credence on Women's Day but I do think women need to have more confidence. And if a Women's Day brings about that attitude, then I'm all for it.
04-23-2014, 01:13 AM

Thats the way the world is, we live in a misandrist age and men have no option but to deal with it
04-23-2014, 01:19 AM

Everyday is men's history day... White men have the ascribed advantage over both blacks and women.