This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What do you do when someone tries to bring you down and make you feel small?
04-27-2014, 11:07 PM
What do you do when someone tries to bring you down and make you feel small?
I am a 20 yo college student (girl). I basically try to look for good in everyone.. and lately I guess I've started to look at things like some saint. I read a lot of "saintly" quotes on facebook so basically I've started to love and respect everyone. I try to be as cheerful and friendly as I can be.. very forgiving and accepting.
But I'm starting to realise, it's not like that. It's not at all like what you read on spiritual pages. People are mean, jealous, judging and plain rude as well. Not all of them, of course. But some of them I find try to mock at me, make fun of me.. just for being very friendly.

I'm not really attracted to guys. Maybe cuz where I live most guys look average..(I'm not even a lesbian btw)... But girls are quite pretty in my college and all dressed up. So I just look at them as sweet butterflies.. like at times I imagine them as b'ful creatures who make the class lovely.. and cheerful. haha
I complimented a few of them sometimes. There's a girl who I liked as a friend.. like I was thinking she's a good n helpful girl. I live all alone in an apartment.. so when I go to college I want to talk to people and her. But now I see everyone is mean. Even if they get one single opportunity to laugh at me, they won't leave it. I was playing a game with that girl today and she defeated me 3 times in it. It was just a game but she wrote "loser" beneath my name on paper and said to another girl, "look she's so dumb!" and then laughed..
What would u have done?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-27-2014, 11:14 PM

I would do what I do best. Speeches. But that might not be for you. You could always just walk away. Think to yourself: &quot;When I have a great job, that pays well, supports my family, and I&#x27;m happier than ever. It won&#x27;t matter. Nothing that ever happened between these people and I, isn&#x27;t going to make a difference. They think they can bring me down. But they can&#x27;t.&quot;
Remember why you went college in the first place. To learn. To be the smartest person you can be.
You could also just be rude right back. Just throw random insults at her. And if she calls you dumb, just ask yourself: &quot;If I&#x27;m so dumb, then why am I in college?&quot;
Real life isn&#x27;t a game so you don&#x27;t need to win a petty board game to succeed!
Hold your head up!

Ads

04-27-2014, 11:18 PM

first off, I wouldn't change who you are. you sound like a great person with an ever better personality.

never change that and never let that be changed on you.

as for the girls in your class, maybe they just aren't meant for you. not everybody is meant to be bff's.

you just need to find the classmates you click with and pay no attention to those who don't.
04-27-2014, 11:27 PM

You sound lovely! I would carry on being the way you are and ignore those idiots cos they obviously have no real lives.

Just keep on smiling and don't let them know it upsets you, otherwise you are letting them win. If this is really affecting you then also try to speak to someone close to you who will listen so you can get how you feel out cos holding it in is not healthy.
04-27-2014, 11:34 PM

It is called the crab pot effect. If one of the crabs is trying to escape the po, the others will actually try to pull it back. Maybe they are using it to try to pull them out as well.?
They see you as happy and for some reason they are not. They are either in a bad situation or for some reason, or they do not feel good about themselves and they want you to feel like them.
Either way try to spend as little time with people who affect you negatively ( sometimes we can't avoid it) and move on to people and things that affect you positively. DO NOT CHANGE YOURSELF TO MEET THEIR NEEDS. Here is a prayer I have kept in my wallet for 15+ years.
“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”