This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Internet help(I wanna sue CenturyLink)?
04-28-2014, 02:14 AM
Internet help(I wanna sue CenturyLink)?
My 2013 Windows 8 hp computer says that i have a 54mbps router, and it is super slow. I talked to CenturyLink, and they said i have a .256 router. I went to speedtest.net, and looked up my speed, and it's 0.13mbps. Can i sue them?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2014, 02:24 AM

You can sue anyone for anything. Whether of not the court will agree to hear your case, however, is a different question.

You however, do not have a good case.

Your internet speed is determined partially by your subscription. You may have a router that can support up to 54MBPS via Wifi, but if your connection to the internet is only 0.256MBPS then that's all you are going to get - at best. Your contract with your ISP lays out the details that say that your actual performance (speed) may not match the maximum speed available due to a variety of factors.

Speedtest.net tests the speed between its servers and your house. If the network between you and Speedtest.net is congested, then your measurement of speed won't be accurate.

Think of it this way. How long does it take you to drive to the nearest large city? "Well...it depends on the traffic..." you say. The internet operates the same way. If there's no other traffic, your connection will go a little faster. But if there's a lot of other traffic, then your connection may feel a lot slower.

The only thing you can do is negotiate a faster speed from your ISP (CenturyLink) or get a different provider altogether.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply