This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I feel like I'm being scammed by a girl I met on an online dating site.?
04-28-2014, 02:42 AM
I feel like I'm being scammed by a girl I met on an online dating site.?
I am in the military and reached out to a girl on OKCupid while I was in California...I live in Philadelphia full time. She had a complete profile with photos. I am usually pretty good at noticing the fake profiles, but this one didn't give me any signs ( http://www.okcupid.com/profile/jessica_0...le_similar ). Anyway, we hit it off via emails and then texts. Like I said, she lives in California and I'm in Philadelphia.
We didn't have a chance to meet while I was out there, but we continued to text and actually talk on the phone. She also added me on facebook and had 100's of photos and posts. Just to be safe I always do image searches to make sure I'm not getting scammed and for general safety...this turned up not one result. Yet another reason why I thought she was legit.
Going back to her phone...for some reason she wasn't able to receive or send photos and her voicemail wasn't set up. This raised a red flag so I searched for the number and it came up as a VoIP number out of Florida. I called the actual company in Florida and they explained that this was one of their customers, but they could be located anywhere including California. A friend told me a lot of girls use VoIP just to be safe when online dating.
In our conversations she said she was from Florida and her facebook profile seemed to back that up.
The whole situation seems a bit shady to me, but we really hit it off. Can anyone provide me other ways to get background on her?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2014, 02:48 AM

Until you can meet her face to face there is no way of knowing. Go to cali and meet her, if she is legit then go for her, if she is fake then betchslap that shetbag

Ads

04-28-2014, 02:54 AM

Don't just meet her, bad stuff can happen that way, ask her to skype you or send you a live picture, try and find a video chat app or something so you know she is real.
04-28-2014, 03:03 AM

Hello

The problem is if a girl is NOT willing to meet you in person, then you can consider her actions to be a bloody flag. Online girls will try to make you think about them just because they are girls. They don't have the nerve to meet you in person. Some girls might want to meet you, but most of them don't care.
Making a fake profile is not hard to do.

Can anyone provide me other ways to get background on her? Ask her to meet you in person. If she refuses to meet you, or she changes the subject, then she is not interested. Ask her to come to you. Don't go to her. Ask her to meet you at a public place.
She might make an excuse not to see you. If she makes an excuse not to see you, then something is wrong with this picture.
04-28-2014, 03:04 AM

She is using that service to be safe so its probably one of those app's that give you a free number that can't be traced. The apps that give you free number are only to be used for texting and you actually have to pay to be able to call the person (im sure she is using the free version). You also can't send pictures and don't have the option to have a voicemail, so it sounds like this is just a way for her to be safe. Unlike guys, girls have to be really careful when chatting with guys online. You are lucky she even gave you her personal facebook before even meeting her. I would assume, just by that alone that she is really into you and wants you to stop being suspicious. If you keep acting suspicious then this will ruin your chances of dating her. Its a huge turnoff when men get that way because why would anyone waist their time pretending to be someone they are not? if she bails on meeting you then you know she was fake but it doesn't sound like thats the case. Do skype with her and see what she says.. but then also take into consideration not all girls are comfortable with skying with a stranger they met alone. Meeting in person is the best way to really get to know the person, that is why they suggest to keep the talking to a minimum when talking online and just meet them as soon as you can. Of course talk to them enough for you to be able to figure out if they are sane (rushing is bad as well) but don't drag on the convos for months or years.
04-28-2014, 03:10 AM

Have a video chat to make sure she IS the person in the pictures. if she refuses, she's fake
Also online dating is meant to meet people to DATE, not penpals. Normally if you can't meet then move on and find someone local. You are wasting time with someone in California when you could be meeting girls near you that you could actually be going on dates with and not doubting
04-28-2014, 03:14 AM

Don't send her any money or share banking info with her.