This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
This is about Internet connection, why does it say 100mbps...?
04-28-2014, 03:02 AM
This is about Internet connection, why does it say 100mbps...?
In the area of my computer that says Network Connections it says the following,

LAN or High-Speed internet

Local Area Connection
Speed:100mbps

1394 Connection
Speed: 400mbps

(I don't think the 1394 Connection is actually connected because it doesn't show any signs of activity)

I don't understand why it says that amount for speed if when I'm downloading a program off the internet it only uses a maximum of 54KB/sec. When i use a web browser while downloading the program it uses a max of 37KB/sec. Why would it say, 100mbps or 400mbps if it only uses a maximum of 54KB/sec?

An explanation is appreciated, and any method of improving it is also appreciated.
I have At&t

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2014, 03:08 AM

the reason y u r downloading at such low speeds is because your internet provider does not give you all 100 mbps.... really your internet provider is only giving u about 2mbps download and 512kbps upload.... depending on your service... 100mbps is ust a standered even transfering files in a LAN between computers i only get about 75mbps....

Ads

04-28-2014, 03:15 AM

The 1394 connection is FireWire 400Mpbs which is only in use if you are transfering over a Firewire port.

The LAN connection will be your blue cable or 100Mbps ethernet connection

The 56Kbps internet connection is your dial up connection on the phone line

How to improve? Get a Cable or ADSL connection. ADSL comes down the existing phone line, Cable comes down a newly installed cable
04-28-2014, 03:18 AM

100 Mb/s is the speed your router is capable of and performing at.