This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
anybody else think it's a good idea to limit Parked Domains to a year?
04-28-2014, 10:44 AM
anybody else think it's a good idea to limit Parked Domains to a year?
...then they go back to the general "domain pool".

every time i look for a domain name, it is taken, and almost ALWAYS without exception, it ends up being a Parked Domain! we are running out of useable domains, and it is forcing ICANN to come up with new TLDs...

and all just to pollute the web with useless junk space that might've been used by somebody else...

i can understand if you are working on a site, but shouldn't you have a prototype, or an idea of what you want before you register?!?
@Justin:
if it was "online real estate", shouldn't it have a link to where to go to buy it on the page?

and anyways, that is STUPID, holding a URL for ransom like that! it was already for sale, and they just beat an ACTUAL web designer to it! they are taking the best URLs and boosting the prices on them. it should be illegal...
@Comicbook Reader:
i understand what you are saying, but some of these web sites have been "Parked Domains" for over 3 years! how long do they intend to work on a website for? maybe 3 years should be the limit for Parked Domains? if they aren't getting used, release them to someone who WILL use them, eh?

and you can set up a website WITHOUT owning a domain name, then buy it when you are ready! otherwise it's like buying the only Maserati, leaving it parked in front of your house, and never driving it. what was the point? it is defeating the purpose of the internet, and ruining it for those who might actually use it!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2014, 10:50 AM

No, it's no one's business if I plan ahead and claim a name. It's also no one elses business what the site looks like. I have WAMP installed and do all my testing OFFLINE. I never load a prototype up - to messy and no one's business what I'm doing. I'm working on a site that won't be ready until well into next year because of other projects ahead of it. When I'm ready to load the site, the domain is ready to go. One less hassle and I've planned ahead.

A parked domain isn't polluting the web - it's sitting not doing anything. How is it taking up space? That's what PARKED means.

Ads

04-28-2014, 10:52 AM

People buy and sell domain names. Its online real estate. Most of the parked pages you see when visiting a website is done on purpose, most get money if you click a link on that parked page. They are either holding onto it until they are ready to launch their website, or the are looking to monetize off of the domain name.