This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I have good ping and Download/Upload speed, but terrible connection, why is this?
05-01-2014, 08:21 AM
I have good ping and Download/Upload speed, but terrible connection, why is this?
I live in the UK and my service provider is EE. My download speed is 8 mb/s and upload is 0.8mb/s, and my ping is 35ms, but whenever I try to use the internet, or online gaming, I can never play for long as I lag a lot, and frequently disconnect on multiple games on multiple devices, despite it often showing I have a good latency or ping, does anyone know why this might be? Also, people in my area that I know all have good connection, and my provider only switched from Orange to EE in December, which is when these problems began to be honest so it may be something to do with them.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2014, 08:23 AM

Are you pinging inside or outside, or both?
Pinging your router only tells your internal network connection.
Open a command prompt and Ping ...
Microsoft.com
Google.com
Youtube.com and see what they show .

Your upload speed is terrible compared to the download.
And seeing that you need a certain minimum amount of upload speed in relation to the download especially when connecting to streaming media & game servers, your upload speed is most likely the problem here.

First try unplugging the router for a couple of minutes then plug it in again and try that.

If that doesn't work , go into the routers admin settings & make sure QOS is enabled and set your Upstream (or up-link) to manual.
Whatever your network package speeds are, set them to that speed.
EXAMPLE:
Lets say your upload speeds are suppose to be 10MB? The setting in it are usually in KB's, so set it
Set it to 10,000 kb ( but at your package speed)

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply