This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to get working internet connection?
05-04-2014, 02:27 PM
How to get working internet connection?
Recently, I was having problems connecting my computer to a wireless network. I eventually got connected to the network, but the problem is, I can't figure out how to set up an actual internet connection. I have checked and made sure that the MAC address and Ssid are correct. Any suggestions?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2014, 02:39 PM

Is the wireless network already connected to the internet? Usually you have to get an IP address (not 169.254.x.x) from an upstream server. Once you've done that, the DHCP information will also contain a gateway address. Try pinging the gateway and then browsing the internet. You shouldn't need to do anything additional on your computer once you've connected to the wireless and received good DHCP information. Unless of course you're trying to hack into your neighbors internet connection and they have DHCP turned off... Then I would download wireshark (from the coffee shop maybe?) and run that while on the wireless network in question. It should show traffic from other correctly setup hosts. You can usually figure out the IP addressing scheme from there.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply