This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
netstat -ano on Command Prompt says i have connection to 8 other IP adresses! HELP!!?
05-09-2014, 12:41 PM
netstat -ano on Command Prompt says i have connection to 8 other IP adresses! HELP!!?
ok, so my ping went through the roof today. As you may be wondering, i do in fact have Frontier, but this was bad even for Frontier. With a horrifiying ping of 1200 according to the Ookla Speedtest, i got very concerned. So some poeple said to go to command prompt and type "netstat -ano" (without the quotation marks) and when you see a connection to something you are unfamiliar with, end it, however, these are connections to what appears to be other people's IP adresses! So is somone ratting my computer and able to take control of it and do whatever they want? I dont know whats going on. The picture above is of the command prompt. The ones that scare me are highlighted in the red outline. If you could please tell me what those are, i would be very happy. Thank you!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2014, 12:44 PM

These ip addresses are probably being used by various programs you have running. Maybe you have Windows Update set to check for updates from Microsoft. Maybe your AV software is constantly checking for new virus definitions. Maybe five other programs you have installed use an internet connection for various things. There's nothing to be worried about here.

Ads

05-09-2014, 12:58 PM

well 127.0.0.1 is localhost so thats nothing to worry about and the rest are probably things like windows update, antivirus things like that. ive got a ton of those too running.
05-09-2014, 01:05 PM

Anything with a 127... IP is only on your own computer (localhost). Any 192.168... IP is your LAN. Anything for port 80 is http (web pages, images or ads on web pages). Port 443 is https (secure encrypted web). I did not recognize the port being used for 64.74.103.67, but whois (a native command in Linux) lookup shows that is logmein.

The only strange one is 25.0.36.162 (UK Ministry of Defense). Not sure why your computer is listening to the netbios/Windows networking port on that IP if that IP is not even on your computer, unless you have some sort of VPN or mobile data connection (which internally uses such IP addresses not actually used on internet to avoid conflict with normal private IP ranges).

Are you using Hamachi (related to Logmein) for something or running a game server?