This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What type of internet connection should i get?
06-18-2014, 09:16 PM
What type of internet connection should i get?
i have aol now and ITS SUCKS LOL! im not sure what type to get, all that i can think of is dsl but i have no idea what the difference is and also if i get a new internet connection on my same computer...would that affect my files or other stuff offline? will my s/n from my other internet connection just be shutdown so that i cant get e-mails anymore..if u have any idea of what im talking about lol help!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-18-2014, 09:30 PM

sbcglobal.net

Ads

06-18-2014, 09:43 PM

Any Web-Related info will not disapear silly....Lol somone fails at computers? Get a better connection. Look into Verizon Earthlink and local providers. Do some research. =P
06-18-2014, 09:49 PM

DSL or high speed cable. Won't affect your files at all. You will potentially lose access to the e-mail account associated with your current isp. Ask your isp that question and do yourself a favor and get rid of all aol software on your computer after you get a new isp.
06-18-2014, 10:00 PM

depends on your area
its best to get

Verizon Fiberoptics

It's the fastest and the most reliable out there
06-18-2014, 10:06 PM

msn and high speed internet connection
06-18-2014, 10:17 PM

Broadband is probably the best option if you can get it because it will go faster than DSL. However, if you can't get broadband, DSL is most likely your best option. None of your offline files should be affected. I'm not sure what you mean by your "s/n." Could you give a little more detail? I hope this helps you.
06-18-2014, 10:24 PM

The main difference, aside from availability, between DSL and cable or satellite internet access is the speed. The very best DSL is generally about half the speed of the slowest cable internet access, though it'll really depend on which company you get it from. There's also the fact that cable has you sharing your bandwidth (the amount of data you can send or receive) with others in your general area so if there's lots of people nearby that have cable internet access and are using it at the same time it can mean you'll see slower download speeds than you normally would at off-peak times (like 3 A.M. on a Wednesday or something). DSL is a direct line from your house to the phone companies network so you don't have to share any bandwidth with anyone else.

If you want to watch streaming videos (like YouTube or television episodes) or if you want to download large files then you'll want to have at least 1mb/s download. You could probably get away with 768kb/s too, but I wouldn't settle for anything less than 1mb/s. More is better--but also more expensive--as the videos will download and play faster but 1mb/s is good enough for most things.

You wont have any problems with your login and password for internet sites. Nothing there will change. Your AOL mail *might* be cut off, but I'm not sure since anyone can now sign up for AOL email even without actually using AOL as their internet provider. If you're worried about it I would suggest setting up a web based email address, either a new AOL email address from their email site or use Hotmail or Gmail, and then forward any of your emails that you want to keep to that new address.

Changing your internet provider also wont affect your offline files either. Certain programs might need you to change their internet settings if they connect to the internet but most programs are pretty good about figuring out what needs to be done on their own. Any files or programs you have that don't access the internet will be unaffected.

Hope that helped. Good luck!
06-18-2014, 10:34 PM

i think you can sonsult in the internet company in your city!
06-18-2014, 10:45 PM

There's a new Internet service provider called Clear that I would highly recommend if you want something really fast and convenient. It's way faster than any other wireless Internet I've used and they also offer home Internet services if that's what you're looking for. It's available in Portland right now and expanding to other parts of the country, so keep your eyes out for it.