This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Should I trust this website?
06-20-2014, 12:21 AM
Should I trust this website?
I found this website for a free computer bag. Is it safe?
http://dealnews.com/Eastwear-PVMNT-16-Br...27900.html

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-20-2014, 12:36 AM

Nothing is live is "free". You will pay a price one way or another. Don't go into websites that are questionable. I did not click on this website because I don't take chances on something I do not trust. Just go shopping a find a good deal or shop on line at a reputable store.

Ads

06-20-2014, 12:40 AM

Well, TigerDirect is legitimate.

My guess is they're making their money a couple of ways. There's a $5 shipping charge. It probably costs them a bit less.

More money comes in from that $20 rebate. Retailers know that a huge number of rebates are never claimed or cashed. You can look up a lot of articles and research online. But it wouldn't surprise me, in this case, if at least 25% of the rebates were never sent in. That means for every $100 in rebates sent out, $25 aren't cashed and result in profit for the seller.

Plus, the retailer now has your name and address. That can be added to mailing lists that can be sold to other retailers. So there's some profit there, too.

And the retailer itself can try to sell you more stuff.

My guess, though, is that the main profit center is with the uncashed rebates.

So--while no guarantee--it looks safe enough. They're just making their money in other ways.

Hope that helps.