This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I'm hating college, what should I do?
11-09-2012, 09:17 AM
I'm hating college, what should I do?
College, education-wise is for me. However, everything else isn't. I live in a dorm and yes, I've made friends, but not friends whom I feel like myself around and actually have genuine fun with. Every weekend I want to go home because weekends here just make me depressed. I resist that temptation every time, only to be disappointed once Sunday night comes around and realize how sucky and lame my weekend has been. I hate how we're told our entire lives that college is the "time of your life".

The worst part? It seems as if everyone else is having a blast! People laugh their heads off, post statuses on facebook such as, "ahhh... gotta love college life!!!!", etc.

I've tried finding new people to hang out with since I typically hang with my neighbors. I also walked up to people, sat at new lunch tables, joined clubs, and participated in every campus event I could. I feel that people have already established their friend groups. I attend a very small college, so that may be a problem.

What can I do to make college life easier in the social aspect? It's only my first semester and I feel as if I want to become a commuter and try to somehow convince myself that this is worth it. Any ideas?
btw, don't mention sororities - my school does not have any.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 09:26 AM

I didn't like university either. It was like high school all over again. The popular people at uni had this "get the **** out of my way" attitude, and the unpopular people were just trying to suck up to them all the time. But a person goes there for education, it's not really supposed to be about socializing. You will slowly but surely meet more people as you advance in your studies, though.

Ads

11-09-2012, 09:26 AM

It's true that going to a small school could limit your options but they also tend to be more intimate. It's only been your first semester so you need to give yourself more time. I played soccer which automatically gave me a group of people to socialize with. It's good that you have joined a club and participate in groups. Keep putting yourself out there and you will find some people that you can be yourself around. Keep resisting the temptation to go home unless staying at school puts you at risk for using drugs or drinking too much. That seemed to be one of the biggest factors to kids not graduating, getting involved with alcohol and drugs.