This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
am i obsessed with getting attention?
11-09-2012, 09:25 AM
am i obsessed with getting attention?
im 14 and ever since grade 7 i love getting attention. i never craved it at first. but i knew i was fake. i would act different all the time and be a huge drama queen. in grade 8 it got all worse. my friends we'rnt in my class so they started to not talk to me anymore. and we got in a huge fight. over something so stupid that i dont even remember. i was lonely. so i started telling people i smoke and drink to get attention. one time i "acted like i was high" at lunch time. my teachers found out and called the cops and hospital. i got scared so i made up a lie saying someone i dont know gave me pills. im a person who stays at home. alot. and tell people that im out hanging with my highschool friends. but in reality. i stay at home. whats wrong with me? it got 10 times worse. i wanted more attention. so i went on facebook. and started "hacking" myself. saying rude and cruel things. to me and people. some people felt bad. and one time i made a fake account of a girl and started saying mean things to myself. i got more attention. once i heard about Amanda todd. i felt like it was going to get me more attention if i try to kill myself. but i didnt. at all. but i told people i did. so people told a teacher and now im seeing 7 counilers. i feel like a phsyco path. so i have some kind of disorder?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 09:33 AM

ask in the HETER0sexual / BREEDERsexual sections, N0T lgbt.

Ads

You are you, unique and valuable in your own right.

Wanting to get attention isn't that bad, but Nicole(perhaps this isn't your real name too lol) why would you even lie to your friends? Lying will not get you anywhere, especially to your friends. Are you really seeing 7 counsellors? I see that It's not helping you at all n perhaps, try being real, make some new friends, be nice n sincere. Make a new change, for yourself, for people who do care. Why can't you be yourself?

You are dishonest to yourself and others, a trait that will come back to haunt you

Well, you certainly have a thing about getting attention, but you're not a psychopath. However, from what it appears, you're not only trying to gain people's attention, you're also lying quite a lot (no offense), like when you say that you were acting high (that's a lie, too) or when you say that you hang out a lot when, in reality you're staying at home all the time.

As I said, you're not psycho, nor do you have a disorder, however, you certainly have an obsession which can become dangerous. From what I can guess, you love causing different situations and being a drama queen because that way, people will pay more attention to you and that will reward you psychologically. On one hand, that sounds like a normal need, however, on the other hand, it may also indicate an underlying reason for your constant desire to provoke and draw everyone's attention on you. In my opinion, this may happen because maybe you weren't given enough attention when you were young, or because you had a rough childhood, or even because your parents are divorced (I'm not sure on any of these scenarios, I'm just guessing here). Yet, whatever the cause, I believe that, as you may have realized yourself, your obsession isn't healthy and it is way beyond the natural need everyone has to get some attention.

Unfortunately, the truth is that people may view you as some kind of crazy person and to be honest, they have probably concluded this because of your attention-whoring. It's very sad to know that you're currently seeing seven (!) counselors, but you need to understand that if you want to change this, you must take drastic measures and fight against your temptations; if you let your obsession grow, it will eventually actually drive you crazy.

You need to focus on getting rid of your bad reputation. In order to do this, you must follow a set of steps to reduce or to eliminate completely (which is preferable) your attention whoring. First of, you need to deal with your drama queen tendencies. If you want to get attention at school, you can gain it otherwise and not by getting into lame fights and being considered a b 1 t c h afterwards for acting like an overreacting idiot. Get involved in school clubs (I'm guessing you're from the US so, in that case, you've got plenty of options), occupy yourself with a sport, learn a new language, hike or go out with friends, in other words, do anything except for being a drama queen. Also, if you are unable to control your need to attention whore on Facebook, then either delete it or control your urges and delete all the fake profiles you've made and refrain from creating new ones and pretending that your profile has been hacked.

Most importantly, remember that suicide is never an option, ESPECIALLY in your case (you don't have anything to complain since you appear to have brought this on yourself even though you had a seemingly perfect life, unless of course you had some issues during your childhood or something similar). Also, even if you kill yourself, then think about it: what will you have accomplished? Nothing! Your friends will just say that you killed yourself (probably one of the most derogatory things for someone to say if the person wasn't depressed) and then move on. Your parents will be the only people to mourn over your wrong choices. If you choose to live and stop your wrong behaviour, you'll get authentic attention from everyone. If you choose to commit suicide on the other hand, you will just make a fool of yourself.

Think about it.