This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Am I just acting like a normal sixteen year old girl or is It possible I may have bdd?
11-09-2012, 10:32 AM
Am I just acting like a normal sixteen year old girl or is It possible I may have bdd?
Ok, first time to ever reach out to a forum for help but I really think I need it. I am completley obssesed with how I look! I always have to try and look perfect. I'm sixteen now and I can safely say iv been this way from quite a young age. I have been told on many occasions that I'm pretty, beautiful etc. But I don't see It at all and always wonder what people acctually think of me, do they really think I'm pretty or do they say that to everyone to be nice? Everyday I wear quite an amount of makeup, concelear, foundation, powder, eyeliner and mascara. I will NOT leave the house without it! I think of myself as a different person without it all. All my money goes towards is my hair, my makeup, my clothes, and other beauty products, I'm always searching for new products to make me look better expecting them to preform some sort of miracle. I'm constantly comparing myself to other girls and celebrities wishing I was like them. I know ALL my flaws! I'm also constantly googling ways to improve your looks, for example dieting, excercise, cutting ceratin foods, beauty products, dermetogical procedures etc. Iv never quite had perfect skin and I can never just leave it alone either I'm always picking at it, I also have an obssesion with having perfect eyebrows. At school I constantly take trips to the bathroom to make sure I look ok and to fix my makeup & I see myself differently in every mirror, and will not look in a mirror near a flouresant light as it shows everything! I hate pictures, anytime I go out and I am tagged in pictures on facebook the next day I untag myself immediatley no matter how I look. Sometimes I feel slightly more confident but a lot of the time I hide my face & don't have the courage to look someone straight in the eye fearing they will notice one of my flaws.Despite the fact my looks do bother me a lot!! I am a happy 16 year old with plenty of friends and have had my fair share of boyfriends. I just dont know why I act the way I do about my looks?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 10:41 AM

It's normal in modern society. Because we now have the resources to look "better", people feel they have to. When you watch TV, you see nothing but what we think are perfect people. You should worry more about school than your looks. I'm sure you're more attractive without makeup and what-not.

Ads

I think your acting pretty normal. Im actually the EXACT same as you, up to the bf part Tongue haha but i do what you do all the time, except im 14, not 16!

I think you might have OCD or Dysmorphic disorder.

First, know you are not alone. There are many girls that are like you. Actually, I'm really similar to you. I know all my flaws, and staring at them in the mirror hoping they'll go away.

The media conveys the image that to be pretty, you have to be 6", stick-then, and an angular face with beautiful perfect features. You have to realize that 99% of people don't look like this EVER. It's brilliant. People will buy all these products thinking that they will preform a miracle, and when they don't, they will buy another one.

Check out this video, it really inspired me! (plus its jenna marbles ;D) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfW8deSls...ature=plcp

I would talk to your doctor about this, because you will hurt yourself mentally if you don't get it under control.

Answer mine? Thanks Smile
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?...013AAiy5aC