This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Do children from single parents have a harder time?
11-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Do children from single parents have a harder time?
I have noticed just from a few friends who are single parents(absent fathers) that their children have a harder time, more discipline problems than children from two parent homes. Does anyone else agree with me on this? It seems that having a father in the picture makes a world of a difference in the lives of these children. Is this a valid reason to stay with that person and works through the problems if possible? It would be for me if it a was a known fact that children are well rounded and happier.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 04:54 PM

it depends on the situation if the father was a good parent and good person but things just ended up not working out between mom and dad then probably yes...but if the father was a drunk abusive to the mom then the children would suffer more for seing that on a regular basis.........Majority of people who have children together do try to make things work before calling it quits... but if it doesnt work it is not good for a child to grow up in a house hold where there parents do not respect each other

Ads

definitely not true. i was born through a sperm donor, so ive had one parent my whole life. im intelligent, well behaved, never been in any real trouble. im in college with a 3.8 gpa.
i have lots of friends with two parents, and they are wild children! haha.
ive always wished i knew what having a father was like, but i love my mom. shes a mom and dad to me! i wouldnt change anything.

I am a single parent. My children do not see their father. But I disagree with what you have to say based on my children. They are well behaved, happy (full of giggles and smiles daily), are loved by many, and have a good life.

I don't know really any other single moms so I can only go on my families life.

Well, my son is only two, so I can only go off of how he acts right now, and I can tell you this - I don't think I've ever seen a child that's happier than my son. There are plenty of people in this section that are friends of mine on facebook and they can attest that they've probably only seen 1-2 pictures of him where he's not smiling. He receives compliments on his attitude & personality daily.

His father hasn't been in the picture for pretty much his whole life, although he is trying to get to know him now.

No, I don't agree. I have no problems disciplining my son, and he doesn't have a harder time now that his dad isn't around. Infact, he's much happier and much more stable now that we're no longer together.

I wouldn't in a relationship where I wasn't happy. If I'm not happy then that will have an impact on how good a parent I am.

My son is very well behaved. He gets compliments ALL THE TIME on his demeanor and pleasant attitude.
He is always smiling and actually the happiest and most well behaved toddler that i know personally.
He just started a new daycare and that are very impressed with him.

So I disagree with you.
Lazy parents have a harder time, not single ones.

I don't think its true with every case.I know plenty of single parents/kids from single parents and the majority of them are just fine.There are a few who have issues, but they also have single moms who don't know how to parent/who gets overwhelmed.

As a therapist I get this type of question all the time. The answer is that is really depends. Research does show that a child with two parents has increase odds of adjusting well in life. However, some children with two parents do not do well, and some children with one parent do great. If your friends ask, I would suggest that they look at their situation and then do all they can. Maybe they can use big brother programs, or relatives to fill a perceived void in the child's life. Just know that just because they do not have a father does not ensure the child will have a rough life; however, having a father does not ensure the child will have a great life. All we can do is the best we can. A lot parents ask me about discipline. I attach a website that I recommend for pre-teen discipline. Good luck.

Since some of you have already shared your personal experiences, i just want to add that not everything about single parenting is bad. there are some upsides and focusing on the advantages (not being sarcastic here) might be a healthier outlook on things. Here's an interesting read you might be interested.