This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How old should you be to get a facebook?
11-09-2012, 04:48 PM
How old should you be to get a facebook?
My daughter is 10 and she wants a facebook. We are very close, and I know that she would only post appropriate pictures and write appropriate comments. I just want to see what people think. Any preferences? Thanks

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 04:56 PM

I would say 8th grade, or as long as you have her password so you can monitor it, there is a lot of freaks out there on facebook!

Ads

Help her set it up and make sure you are one of her "friends". That way, you will have her p-word and you can monitor what she is doing on it.

I am a college student, and I personally think she should wait. Even if the comments are appropriate, studies show that facebook can make people sad at times. Yes, facebook can help you stay connected, but the internet can also be the ultimate bully tool. I would hold off until junior high at least.

I'd say no for sure. Facebook used to be for college students only, and then 18 and up! What happened to that? My age limit would have to be AT least 14 years old.

Their policy is 13 but my boys get on my account with my approval and they will chat with family and friends plus play my games. They know that they can't give out info to people and can't post pictures of themselves without my approval. One time of breaking the rules and they are grounded from it until further notice. Social networks are a big part of the world today so I feel my kids need to know about them and keep them from it just makes it more tempting to sneak which is when the kids get into trouble

there has been murdered raped and kidnapped because of Facebook the age is 13 but if she really wants it do it at your own risk!!

I think around 13. It depends on how mature your daughter is

It's a little strange that she wants one. She should be busy with other things. My granddaughter uses her mother's account to play some of the games- you could do that.
Here's something to consider- to get her an account, you have to lie about her age. Are you teaching her that it's ok to lie if she doesn't think the rule is reasonable? That's a bad precedent to set.

Since the site doesn't even accept under 13s, at least 13.

Or you could teach your daughter that it's perfectly OK to lie about her age online in order to get onto sites meant for older people.

Your choice, really.