This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
People under the age of 20, please?
11-13-2012, 06:00 AM
People under the age of 20, please?
I just wanted to know...
Does anyone out there actually listen to good music?
And what are your opinions on what makes music "good?"
Is anyone still "normal?"

It depresses me how CREATURES like Nicki Minaj and Lil Wayne and Kesha are making MILLIONS by doing the one thing that's worse than nothing at all: making horrible music.
And the greatest artists of all time have been forgotten by our generation.

Up until now, each generation is proud to look back and be able to say how great their lives were as kids. "Back in the day, we had Ella Fitzgerald!" "In my day, we had Elvis and Ray Charles!" "Back in the 60s, we had the Beatles and the Stones and Jimi Hendrix" "When I was a kid, we had Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd!" "We used to always listen to Journey and Van Halen!"

And now, for pretty much the first time EVER, we'll be looked back upon as the generation with the absolute WORST music. For the first time ever, we WON'T be proud of the music we had or what life was like. Swag, YOLO, twitter, "Cash Money Billionaires"--it's disgusting! It's embarrassing!

And it's not like the decades have been constantly getting worse. The 40s, the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s--each one were fantastic in their own way. And suddenly, we have the 2000s and 2010s where not only the music is awful, but society is absolutely despicable.

All that matters now is how rich people are, how much "swag" they have, how cool they are, what music they listen to, how ugly or sexy they are, how famous they turn out to be, what they ate for breakfast in the morning.

These are the people who will be running the country in 10 or 20 years.

I'm not a hipster, I'm just not ignorant enough to not realize what this decade is like. I'm embarrassed to live in it, embarrassed that people my age obey the media by listening to what SOCIETY says is good music and not what they ACTUALLY think sounds good.

That's my opinion. Thanks for reading. And please don't lie. I'll never meet you in real life. If you like Lil Wayne or LMFAO, I don't care. Just tell me WHY you like them. I bet if you REALLY think about it, you'll realize you don't actually like them for who they are, but you like them because the media tells you to.
@Reaper
But the difference between this generation, and, say, the 50s, was that all the shitty pop music is what's adored by millions of fans. Back then, people knew which music was bad and what was good.

Nowadays, if people hear a song with a REAL ACTUAL GUITAR in it (gasp! What is this sorcery?) then they say it sounds weird.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-13-2012, 06:09 AM

i like Nicki Minaj

Ads

Rainbow Dash is best pony.

TL;DR

Only cool people attack mainstream media. Shoutout to KFC for giving me food poisoning tonight.

Yes, I like music.

Music is subjective. What's good to you could be awful to someone else.

We're all still normal.

Also, take some time to explore this generation of musi. I've found plenty of great, innovative bands that came out in the last ten years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDE-zsOH9tU

Here's one of the more popular doom metal/psychedelic rock bands of the era.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-WlaJQYpS4

Here's some innovative folk/melodeath metal.

Seriously, this wasn't hard at all.

I am 16 and I love all genres except pop. from blues and metal to indie and jazz. I love it all. I some like eighties pop though like Prince and Michael Jackson.

Born 1997, 15 year old girl. And I think you are a little presumptuous... Sure Kesha is more popular then, say, Bon Iver, but he still has a large fan base. Same with the Avett Brothers or Adele. It takes more than the tween generation to make music popular.

My favorite bands are Modest Mouse, Radiohead, the Avet Brothers

You're just being whiny and annoying. This generation is no worse than any of the previous ones; they were full of shitty pop culture too and nothing has changed. If anything, music has evolved and gotten better; its diversified and grown. If you can't look past all the mainstream garbage and look only to your oldies radio stations, then you're just as bad as the people you criticize.

EDIT: No, there's no difference. There isn't even a difference between pop music today and chamber music of the past centuries. They weren't full of great composers like Bach, Mozart and Beethoven; they were full of mediocre chamber music that no one bothered to keep record of because it was so bad. Same with the 1950s and 1940s, no one remembers the pop music of the day and 20 years from now, no one will know who Justin Bieber or Lil Wayne were.

Just because a song has actual instrumentation doesn't mean that it takes any more skill to write. Do Nickelback songs take any skill? Do Greenday songs? Some of the best composers compose on computers with pre-recorded sounds.

I'm 17 - today's music is excellent in their own right. its comparable to ray charles and elvis and black sabbath pearl jam because this is what most people enjoy listening to in their time. back in the 60s hendrix was hated by most older people but adored by the younger generations time change and so does music. Lil wayne is clever, lyrically talented, musically talented. he loves rock and roll just as much as rap. the musics great. you just have to learn how to appreciate every type and not focus on what "actually sounds good" listen to an emotional rap. its poetry to the beat about escaping from terrible lives look up the game's my life ft lil wayne. great way to describe the raw emotion circulating from todays generation. even kesha is important because shes part of the equation.

I'm 15 and I HATE Justin Bieber,Nicki minaj,and the rest of the shitty pop or rap....I Will FOREVER love classic rock(Aerosmith,Van Halen,Rolling Stones) and 80's glam metal (Mötley Crüe,Poison,Warrant) my dad raised me with this music and I'm sooo glad he did! If you don't like what I listen to,well if I had d.iick right now this is were I would tell you too SUCK it! (; Follow me on Twitter too *IF* you love my music if not then dont! @harleynicole17 and my name for it is Harley Sixx! (: thanks yall Nd rock on \m/