This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Will Facebook be the downfall of my generation?
12-13-2012, 08:39 AM
Will Facebook be the downfall of my generation?
I'm a teenager (16), and I got a Facebook about a year ago. However, I've come to realize that being on it not only drains my time, but is pointless. What difference in the world will it make if I join a group? Does it matter that so-and-so is brushing their teeth (status updates)??! What about talking to people face to face and forming meaningful relationships?! I'm afraid for my generation. Will be become dependent on these machines for everything? Will no one spend their time doing something that might actually affect the world around us for the better? And it promotes narcissism and vanity! Everyone's competing to have more friends, a "hotter" profile pic, a better relationship status...Who freaking cares?!?! We're self-centered ENOUGH without the help of a website!! Will we stop caring about other people all together?! I'm seriously considering deleting mine, though I don't want to lose touch with those I hardly see. Maybe I'll just set it up so I get email notifications and let it set for a while. I need to unplug and reclaim my time. Let me know your opinions. ~Indie G

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-13-2012, 08:47 AM

.no

Ads

AGREE... and the games get addicting. I'm hoping to quit too, i'm in the same boat Smile

and all that public information you have put up there...will be shared with the world in any public job or even private jobs you may seek in the future.

I don't know, but that shouldn't be the only thing you spend your time on, I recon you might have exams or projects, if so get it done first, then go online.

yeah... but just like you other people are connecting with friends as well. and its just one of those things people have to face with. when television people probably thought the same, same with texting , i mean it has worsened the communication face to face but it also keeps people in touch who never can. there's always positive and negative things to something, you just have to be positive.

hahah you think too much Tongue yea facebook probably makes people anti social and stuff and its a pretty stupid website when you really think about it but no ones forced to use it and most people still have a life other that fb people will eventually get sick of it and move onto something different like the great myspace to facebook conversion hahhaha

There's a possible addictive quality to facebook as well not unlike video games. I'm for making real friends, not solely cyber ones. Even though you might have a lot of friends on facebook, how well do you know them? I also think that facebook doesn't develop much needed social skills. These are my opinions.

I actually just recently set it up so if someone talks to me I'll get an email notification but otherwise I don't even use it anymore. I feel the same way you do; our generation are relying too much on relationships over the computer. I would rather be out hanging out and talking to people in person. The main reason I don't use it anymore is because I was always getting a migraine from people getting into arguments on it.

I figure if people want to talk to me they can call me. My phone number and email is on my facebook page so they have multiply ways to get in touch. The only reason I didn't delete it is because I'm in college and when I was working in a group with some people I didn't know all that well they found me on facebook to ask me some questions.

I really don't even use my computer much anymore (it's just really late right now and I'm bored at home) because it's such a waste of time. I've found I've been a lot happier since I've stopped using facebook/the internet.

I encourage you to get off of it. It'll be hard, you'll probably end up going back on a little bit, but just don't post anything. Go out and have fun in real life. : )

i wouldnt consider myself to be a facebook addict but i do check it on a regular basis. i think it is a really good way to connect with friends and learn more about them, but it can become a problem. some of my friends are on 24/7 and will reply to a comment i post on their wall or picture right away. i find it really annoying when people update their statuses saying exactly what they're doing at the point in time, like the ones that have 10 status updates a minute. i guess its all about self control and self image. we tend to think too much about what other people think of us so we constantly check back to see if our friends commented on our posts. other than that, facebook can be very useful and fun.