This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
can I refuse to serve a customer?
12-19-2012, 02:31 PM
can I refuse to serve a customer?
okay, so there is a group of about 5 people who I wish not to serve in my shop, as they're rude, and I've also had a argument with them on Twitter. Surely there is rights for me not to serve customers? Can you help me with the question, and also give me rights to which is in context with this question, thanks.
Also, I'm just an employee.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-19-2012, 02:39 PM

If you are the shop owner, you can refuse entry and service.
If you are an employee, then only the owner/manager can decide if they are to be served.

Ads

Yes, you have the right to refuse service to anyone for no reason at all, just make sure you have a sign up saying as such.

Should say something along the lines of- 'We Reserve the Right to Refuse Service to anyone' This should be in a visible position in your shop, you can always kick anyone out and if they refuse ring the police.

If it's your shop it's up to you.

Are you the shop owner/leaseholder? If so you can ban them from the premises.

You can always refuse to serve a customer, no rights are required. Being a shopkeeper is not a duty it's a job and you can always refuse. All that happens is that you lose a customer.

Edit: A lot of people are saying only the manager can make such a decision, that's not true. You may well get in trouble with your manager for making your own decision, you'll certainly have to justify your decision to your manager and you may lose your job, but you can still say no. YOU CAN REFUSE to serve a customer.

Have you never seen the movie "Waiting"? . I suggest you watch it, it has some valueable lessons about treating rude arrogant customers, without you being rude yourself.

I do not know what nation you are in and therefore cannot say. In my nation, you can refuse to do business with someone if you wish. I would fire you for that decision, but that was not your question.

do what the boss says or find another job

Its up to the owner of the shop to refuse to serve anyone, not you,you just do as your manager tells you. You have to serve them or look for another job.

If it is not your business, and you are simply someone else's emloyee, then you have no rights or authorisation to refuse a customer service or entry on the basis that you think they are rude. Your employer will be unlikely to want to turn their revenue down simply because of your personal opinion, and even less so because you happen to have had an argument with one of them on Twitter.

If you don't want to serve them, either get another employee to deal with them, or if its that important to you, quit the job.

(Incredibly childish question, by the way).