This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Question for Spiritual Witnesses only: Where in the KM does it say not to be on facebook or twitter?
01-08-2013, 06:13 AM
Question for Spiritual Witnesses only: Where in the KM does it say not to be on facebook or twitter?
Someone told me it was wrong to be on this site.
We have been counseled not to talk to people we do not know.
Can we know a person from their answers and questions?
Couldn't we know someone in real life and they could be lying and really be a wolf?
Posting on here is not talking to someone you do not know, it is like posting on a blog or personal web page but more effective as many read it.
Please give me your opinion.
Not by choice the validity of using this forum has been presented to a group of elders teaching the pioneer school in Alaska.
Will you continue on here if directed that it is not valid service?
For me means nothing as have seen benefits to self and others.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2013, 06:21 AM

When Facebook was new the brothers warned us away from social networking.....now they are telling us to be careful. They are telling us to use our conscience. I know of many new brothers and sisters being baptized by way of YA!....and Facebook. And there has been also some hanky-panky.....So brothers, please be responsible.

Ads

Debbie's right, at first it was considered a 'fad', something that could be a distraction, and promote 'loose' behavior(which was originally true of course, Zuckerberg made Facebook for college-kids originally, and their love-life was a major factor on the profile), by now this is in a big part how the World communicates. And Facebook, Yahoo! Answers, have changed to true social-networks.

So there's nothing wrong with being on here, it's just a part of life today.

If it's service, or not, isn't really relevant to me, and probably the whole concept is something that still needs to be brought up to date, 'making your hours' is a very classic, rigid, result oriented way to score-pioneers.
But that takes time to change those things, so I don't know, maybe not yet. Maybe they'll do something similar to phone-service, which has some 'valid' time, but shouldn't consume all your time.
Maybe they'll come up with a completely new structure, because we're quickly developing from a very rational religion, to a much more balanced view, that we need that emotion to. So we're developing quickly the light is getting brighter.

Until then, just keep contributing whichever way you can. Our job is to open minds, the rest is between them and God.

Well I can see the point that being on here can be discouraging.
As for myself I block immediately all the apostates and liars who don't deserve an answer.
What I also do is , instead of going to the religious section I may choose to answer questions in family and youth.
There are definitely people on here who want an answer to a genuine question.
I have answered many question for such ones and have referred to our website http://www.jw.org
Personally I choose not to tell anyone about this site , basically because I don't want anyone to be stumbled by it.
Yes, caution is important.
The brothers have not said in the publications not to go on face book and twitter but to be very careful.
Of course we understand straight away that the brothers care for our spirituality.
So I don't get upset about that but yield to it.

Personal conscience but caution is always called for.

“Look! I am sending you forth as sheep amidst wolves; therefore prove yourselves cautious as serpents and yet innocent as doves." - Matthew 10:16

Nothing wrong with evangelizing.

Honestly, I haven't seen anything telling us not to be on Y/A; however,, as others have mentioned, some congregations have warned their flock about the dangers of being on Facebook and other websites. We don't want to give out our personal information to strangers, but our goal is to teach and educate ones who are looking for bible truth..
I don't give out my e-mail address, as there are many on here who are hateful and not worth dealing with.
We have to be careful in everything we do today. I love this site, because I can share my beliefs with others and learn from them about theirs.
Also, with many of the brothers on here, we share our official website to those who seek further information about the bible and God's organization.
http://www.jw.org

I was told just 2 weeks ago by my elders who visited me that the org is aware that this is a form of communication and is something they will use to further kingdom truth with so, any way, it is a personal decision, if you feel weakened by it, then just use your email. I make jigsaw puzzles from pictures with scriptures and listen to music from the org, and bible reading without having to download, I love this computer but I can live without it, but I get fellowship here, as i can communicate with others without leaving the house, I cannot leave due to illness, so anyway, i just was talking on facebook messenger to a brother in Nigeria, he called me on the phone during our visit. I hear it is the dry season there, and the people are so friendly, they would carry me to the hall, loz, all 400lbs of me. yep i weigh 400lbs I love that i found my children and grandchildren, every day i can see them, and hear from them, without the computer I cannot talk to them much at all, so you see, if the org said get off of it, for a valid reason, I would.

If they did say that, it was probably due to people like me who can run logical circles around people like you.
@Teller of Truth's hypocrisy overwhelms me as most Jehovah's Witnesses do.
I find it funny, @Teller of Gay, if you are 'weeding out' bad association, why do you keep commenting on obvious critical questions? Either you're lying to the current asker or you have no idea what 'keep away from bad association' means.

Wink

There was a article on Social networking and the dangers and pitfalls that could arise Awake Feb 2012 "what you should know about social networking". Never will you hear it say NOT TOO.. We take what we read and apply the council it was given.Love and Concern. It cautioned on your private profile could be divulged to those who can cause harm Your friendships influence how you think and act..(1 Cor 15:33) Are the ones you associate online good associates?

A good reputation and respect are worth much more than silver and gold (Prv 22:1)
Would you allow an Apostate or some other disrespected person by Jehovah sit on your couch and socialize with them?

Always be cautious as a serpent and be wise to whom you witness to. Are they ones we would talk to in person, are they mocking,apostates df'd or ones who really post questions just to see a reaction. Or are they truly interested and ask mature questions or give mature answers.
Do not give what is holy to dogs, neither throw your pearls before swine.” The truths from God’s Word are holy. They are like figurative pearls. But if some individuals, who are like dogs or swine, show no appreciation for these precious truths, Jesus’ disciples should leave those people and seek out those who are more receptive.
I'm on Q/A but I'm rapidly weeding out those who are not good associates and who are one that would be detestable to Jehovah. How I separate those who are not good associates I ask them questions from a current article or convention. Or some point we had in prior articles or talks. You can discern those in this manner. But also just their way of talk is a good indication. Jehovah's Witness' all speak the same spiritual language. Would you be able to understand a greek speaking person amongst a room of japanese ? It should be that clear.

Free thinker's humility overwhelms me as most narcissistic people do. They are figments in their own imaginations.ae