This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I want to buy a bike, but everything seems too expensive nowdays?
01-19-2013, 02:18 AM
I want to buy a bike, but everything seems too expensive nowdays?
I want a bike which I can use mainly on road but I dont want to get a flat tire every time I go to a place with some dirt and rocks around. Also I dont want to pay a fortune for such a bike. I try to find some second hand bike stores around my area, but they dont seem to have what I am interested. They have either mountain bikes or bikes which cost the same price as my liver in the black market.

Any ideas?

Btw I dont have the tools and the time to make my own one.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-19-2013, 02:26 AM

Ask a friend or pay him to make one for you from parts from scrap yards or ones you've boughT

Ads

I heard a story that an electrician - went to the states and bought two racing bicycles for about 5 thousand dollars each - - - then he crossed the border back into Canada - with the bicycles in the back of his pickup truck - - he then went into a highway restaurant to have a meal - - on finishing the meal and going to his truck he was shocked to find the bicycles gone - - - some one had stolen them

- - - my advise - - don't buy expensive bicycles - - - buy cheap bicycles something only a mother could love

It will cost a lot more to build one. Look for a comfort bike instead, the wider tires will handle dirt and gravel paths and be smooth on the road.

A hybrid will probably be best. It won't be too slow or heavy for the roads, and will handle light trails comfortably.

Go to your local cycle store and talk to the staff. Tell them what you want the cycle for, and how much you can afford. They will show you which cycles will be suitable, and give you a chance to try one for size. Some shops even allow you to go for test rides.

Most of the big manufacturers will have suitable cycles in their range. They'll probably have a range of cycles with the same frame but different specification components, and you should be able to find something suitable for your budget.

Ebay. But first find a bike you like and get the right frame size.

Then get a hybrid or a touring bike. Both will suit your requirements

Simple answer. Welcome to the 21st century. This isn't 1970 anymore when a quality bike only cost $100. Even back then - $100 was a LOT of money. Considering for inflation - that $100 bike from 1970 would cost roughly $593.35 today. Considering the VAST improvements in hubs, wheels, shifters, derailleurs, etc. - a $500 to $700 bike today is a BARGAIN!
http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

I'm living on a meager income from Social Security & own FOUR quality bicycles. How? I $AVE my $$$.

I'd reccomend looking on Craigslist. Contrary to popular belief, you actually can find decent bikes on Craigslist if you know what to look for. I would reccomend a hybrid bike. It's basically a bike that takes features from a road bike, and a mountain bike, and puts them together to make a comfortable bike that's light, but also has somewhat knobby tires for traction on trails and things.

If you do decide to look on Craigslist, if the bike doesn't look in good condition from just one picture, it probably isn't. If they don't post any, ask for pictures of some of the components. They shouldn't be rusty. You can always tell if someone's selling something they've taken care of, or just thrown outside and forgot about it for 15 years.

Building a bike would probably be even more expensive than buying a new bike, for the plain fact that you'd need to buy every component, tool, etc to build it, or take it to a shop to build it for you. A shop would probably cost 50 or so dollars to build, and it wouldn't be worth it.

P.S. Please please please don't go to Walmart, Target, or any other department store to get your bike. Yes, they are really cheap, but they are poorly constructed with cheap parts that are bound to fail quickly, and you will have bigger problems than getting a flat tire on rocky roads. Stick with the trusted brands and shops. Good luck! Smile

Get a hybrid, such as trek fs.1, trek 8.2 ds, specialized Sirrus, specialized crosstrail, and the list goes on and on. Trek has some nice hybrids for $300-$600.

Tell people your homeless and ask for money then buy a really really good bike