This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What are your thoughts on this Men's Rights Manifesto?
01-25-2013, 01:35 AM
What are your thoughts on this Men's Rights Manifesto?
Men in every civilized country have the right to claim:

That paternity be routinely established using DNA testing.

That an established paternity automatically enable the same rights and responsibilities as an established maternity.

That the default arrangement after a separation be joint legal and physical custody of any children; only to be changed if the parents voluntarily decide to do so, or if one of the parties be determined unfit to be a parent by a court of law.

That women’s shelters receive no government grants unless they are transformed into human shelters, where all victims of domestic violence can get the help they need (women, men, children).

That all human shelters be run professionally, under the same strict standards as those of other social services.

That the military be staffed by people who apply voluntarily, and who receive a fair and reasonable compensation for the risks they assume.

That conscription be used only for extreme reasons of national safety, and that such a measure be gender neutral.

That the principle of “innocent until proven guilty” be upheld at all times, including allegations of rape or sexual harassment.

That gender research be as free from ideology as any other academic field.

That male expendability be recognized as a major gender issue.

That boys be allowed to be proud of their coming manhood.

That schools recognize the needs of boys and the learning styles of boys, so as to give them a fair chance of performing well.

That men’s groups be given the same legal and practical opportunities as women’s groups to obtain funding.

That male sexuality be portrayed in a positive and encouraging manner.

That male circumcision only be legal for adults who voluntarily choose this kind of surgery.

That prisons be organized in such a way as to prevent rape and other forms of assault.

That meritocracy be the governing principle in the labor market, and that all forms of affirmative action and gender quotas disappear.

That misandry be opposed just as vehemently as misogyny.

That all legislation discriminating against men be made gender neutral or removed.

That the historical sacrifice of the male gender role be recognized to the same extent as the historical sacrifice of the female gender role.

http://www.pellebilling.com/2010/10/mens...manifesto/

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-25-2013, 01:43 AM

Most seem like they're okay and pretty reasonable except for the shelter part.

Ads

Honestly, I think men should just use corporeal punishment to keep us in line, like the good old days. You see over the last 40 years: you give us an inch, and we take a mile. No need to make it too complicated. When we act like spoiled little brats, treat us like that.

agree with all except the shelter part...

it is unwise to put multiple individuals who may be holding grudges

against the other sex for whatever form of abuse... And the children

will have been coming from abusive homes with adults..

I doubt a place full of battered abuse victims will do their psychs any good...

I agree with all of it and I like it. Except I don't think anybody, ever, should be forced to fight in war...and the paternity test is kind of insulting to those of us who don't sleep around. If it was mandated by the country though, that would not be bad.

9 out of 10 ain't bad. I approve.

But some shelters should be allowed to remain gender segregated (for those who have been abused by the opposite sex and things like that), so change that to "make men's shelters." Of course, co-Ed ones too.

yes sure.

good starting point, but is too vague in places, and fails to fully address male reproductive rights

I agree with the sentiment of it, though some of these are non-issues, such as the last one. Pick up a standard history book. It's predominately about men and war.

As for "gender research," it tends to be sexist, not "misandrist." Look at any pop science article about the differences between men and women. Most of the time, they are selectively chosen to confirm gender stereotypes ("Men are hardwired not to listen" and "Women are hardwired to shop!")

One more thing is odd, and that's this "schools recognize the needs of boys" bit. I know I'm being simplistic here, but people who think the school system is stacked against boys are usually just the parents of very average boys, who aren't interested in school work (possibly for social reasons like reading and complying with rules being considered feminine).

Every time I see suggestions by an "expert" on how to make schools better for these (not so bright) boys, it amounts to letting them read comic books instead of Shakespeare (seriously) or letting them run laps around the classroom whenever they feel the need. It's not practical, and will actually hurt these boys in the long run.

Also, for the millionth time, treatments for ADHD are performance enhancers. Let's all agree it is overprescribed (it was recommended that I be put on it in grade school, actually), but let's also be clear here that performance enhancers will make anyone, regardless of their need for them, perform at a higher level. Blaming poor grades on ritalin is one of the more bizarre arguments of the "MRM."

I agree with "most" of it, with exceptions of course. I also think it's absurd that this "manifesto" doesn't defend the rights of gay/bisexual men. If the MRA movement wants to declare a manifesto, it should include ALL men, not just heterosexuals.

I don't agree with the women's shelters not receiving assistance and I don't think it's wise to make homeless shelters unisex. Instead, there should be just as many men's shelters as women's and both should receive equal amounts of funding.

I agree with conscription, regardless of urgency, but I do agree it should be gender irrelevant.

I agree with it, except as someone who has divorced parents I think child custody should be the child's choice.