This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What gun control plan would actually work?
01-29-2013, 04:54 AM
What gun control plan would actually work?
After the shooting in Connecticut, The Kansas City Cheifs Murder Suicide, and The Shooting in Aurora Colorado, I feel inclined to ask, does gun control actually work? People say guns were made for defense, but it originated as a tool for war, and not only a tool of war, but a tool that mimicked the cannon, but was easy to carry around. But the gun evolved rapidly into something of it's own breed, from puny derringers to .50 Caliber beasts, and most are easy to attain, even the ones that aren't legal. In fact, the only difficulty in bringing a Rocket Propelled Grenade (RPG) to the United States is smuggling across the border, which isn't difficult at all if you do it right. The Price of an Rocket Launcher in American Dollars on the black market is $150, with each RPG clocking in at around $50. But will any law make it harder to attain? No, it will only make it worse when you get caught, as with any crime. But should we make the consequences worse for those who get caught? Yes, it will make the less daring withdraw, but what about the men who have nothing to lose? You know, the guys who usually do those kind of jobs regardless.

There are too many things to consider when trying to think about any firearm legislation. AK-47s and M4s are left on the battlefield after soldiers die on a battlefield, perfect for any scavenger to pick up and sell. But if our military never had guns, even cannons, then what else would happen? No guns, but there is still a problem, some people can be a lot stronger than one another, and that's why guns are used for self defense. It's obvious that guns are a good defense, but they kill. It's a tool for killing, but can be manipulated for defense, but that means it bad whether it's legal or illegal.

But what about people who own guns? You know, the gun didn't just find its way into someone's hand and fire itself, it's the person that kills. Background checks are made to see if the person who buys the gun is fit to own it, but many people pass it and still kill people. Even if you were to see clear through someone's mind, into their motives and state of thought, can't fully tell if they will kill someone. Some people buy a gun to defend themselves and end up killing people in the midst of a mindless rage, and some people buy guns to kill people, but then get over it or become more reasonable. You have to see into the future to find out if someone kills anyone. It makes this problem even more eerie, to know that almost everyone can kill anyone for anything, at any time. But if guns never existed, we'd still have the same problem, only with knives and swords. And if blades never existed, we'd still have the same problem, but with fists. The problem is rooted in our mind, making this a psychological and sociological issue. And even if everybody was perfectly sane, everyone in the world, a gun/blade/large muscle mass will make you feel entitled to a higher place than people who don't, and you will do almost anything to enforce your superiority. It's in our brain, the Alpha Male complex, and there's nothing to avoid it. Sadly, criminals and tyrants will always exist.

Well, if we tell people that guns are used specifically for defense, and we only sell rubber bullets to civilians, and safely guard all the guns our military uses, whether before or after a soldier's death, and safeguard all the firepower our military has in large impenetrable bases, we we still have a problem? Yes. Aside from citizens possibly revolting against these very strict regulations, we would still have gun problems. You can still manufacture guns and ammo, if you were smart enough, and use the still-lethal ammo you store in a strong box. If anything, there is no law that can prevent gun violence now, it's like trying to put regulations on knives...you will just make them yourself.(Since gunpowder is pretty easy to make, and metals are available, making cartridges and guns isn't hard at all, you just need to know what you are doing.)

It's obvious, gun control won't work, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to ease the violence, we need to work to make violence less prone to happen, and make it harder for someone to own a gun, but not impossible. Still, violence will happen, and there's nothing you can do to take that out of human nature, but we can suppress it, we can express it with nonviolence, or we can try to get over it with time.

tl;dr ::: Gun control won't work, but neither does ignorance.
@I Don't matter: Even if he owned the gun, would it make a difference? The people were killed regardless of ownership, Families were ruined, regardless of ownership, and he got away with it, regardless of ownership. What matters is that he had the gun, and he killed people. If you read my statement, it said these things will happen even if we had no guns. Guns aren't the problem here, but it was the tool used to cause it. Just like how matches light fires that can grow into forest fires, the match isn't the problem now, but it did make the problem worse. (Or something along those lines, I can see the faults in this analogy already, but it's the best one to describe the situation.)

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-29-2013, 05:02 AM

Easy, put the guns in jail and let the crazy trigger happy loons go on about their business.

Ads

I'm far from an ignorant person, but that is WAY too long to read when my Frappuccino is sitting there melting.

I was hoping that this would be a great question since you're actually asking for a debate and not just making a sarcastic dumb comment.

In my opinion, gun control is fine IF they remove all of the guns and stop the flow of illegal guns to America. Obviously, the government is crooked and will intentionally allow illegal firearms into our borders regardless of what the gun laws are. It's benefitial to them that we keep killing each other and / or going to prison for posessing illegal things. So, it will never work in America because of our crooked government. Much like Mexico. This would work in a country where the government is less interested in keeping people incarcerated and doesn't have their hands in illegal money from illegal ventures. Even in countries where the government is crooked in other ways, it would work, for example England or Iran. But it would never work in America, so it's pointless in a way to even try to push for this because we would be "shooting ourselves in the foot" (hah!).

For the most part, it works here in Canada.

Whether or not it would work in the US is a different question. It's a multifaceted problem. For example, gun control in America is pointless if there's no publicly accessible mental health care system to compliment its goal (i.e. stopping unstable people from harming others). Since guns are a right in America, but health care is not, I don't see this issue changing anytime soon.

Yes agreed gun control seems to have failed. Personally i feel that all the shooting were cause by the government allowing guns to easily be placed in the hands of people that is emotionally unstable. Maybe the gov could issue a test created by psychiatric people. And anyone wanting to buy a gun must pass, if not passed you would not be allowed to own a gun without going and being tested professionally. That would make it harder for people to get a gun. That's my best idea.

come and try to take them, lets end this discussion once and for all.

The problem is simple to define: The mentally ill with easy access to firearms. That implies two paths to solve the problem... attack the problem from the gun vantage point - probably impossible, or attack the problem from the mental illness vantage point - probably doable.

Talk to Kennesaw, Georgia. In that place, they mandate that every household own a gun. Lowest murder rate nationwide.

Listen, when a government decides to ban all guns, they do so. Japan banned guns and so there are almost zero gun killings, period. You read about it, please. So gun control works perfectly when the government gets down to business. There are more people for banning all guns now than there are for allowing guns, so it won't be too long before the NRA is dealt with. That sums it all up.

I'm a conservative by the way. Knives, etc. are a different weapon, one can kill one or a few in an event, but people can get away easier from the killer, with a gun many can be mowed down in a few seconds.

Rather than trying to disarm citizens, why not admint the obvious. If the school was prepared for REALITY in a REAL WORLD, there would be armed and trained staff there to protect our children.

Had even the principal been armed, there would not have been one child killed.

The problem isn't the gun. It's the fantasy world the LIBERALS are trying to live in.

Being prepared for the REAL world is a more effective solution, and more logical.

Guns can be fabricated out of miscellaneous junk...you cannot stop it. So can dozens of other classes of weapons.

The real way to stop evil is to be prepared to DESTROY evil when it raises its ugly head.

Save the children. Stop abortion.