This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Do you think society has progressed and is better than it was 60 years ago?
02-12-2013, 09:22 PM
Do you think society has progressed and is better than it was 60 years ago?
We are more tolerance and diverse. We are getting less religious and more secular. Technology and Science has improved, which benefits many people. Social Media and Entertainment is big deal in today's world. Living Standards for all people have increased since then.

Do you think we are better than the past?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2013, 09:30 PM

I think we peaked around 2004-2009, but we've been in a steady decline since.

Ads

I guess so. Id hate to think otherwise. With me being an optimist and all.

Nope. We've progressed so far we're actually taking steps backwards.

No, we are less tolerant and less competent.

The GOP had a choice, travel the Rockefeller Road [social freedom, economic sanity] or a barking mad road [the current GOP] - they chose poorly. We are all the worse for it.

Yes. i mean now pretty much everyone can have the same opportunities and rights in this country whereas 60 years ago, the circumstances of your birth (parents, color, class) dominated your likeliness for success. It still does but to a lesser extent

Yes. For example, in 1961, JFK started bombing South Vietnam. by 1965 he had destroyed the country. The US had won the war by then and could have pulled out. The major war aim was accomplished. That was, South Vietnam was not going to be a model for a third world country trying to gain its independence and not paying a heavy price.

Now here's where progress comes in. Although the war dragged on beyond 1965, you couldn't get 4 people in a room together to protest the destruction of another country until about 1966. Compare that with the Iraq war in 2003. There were huge protests before that war started. Although we still have a long way to go, it's good to see that we're making progress.

Not really, I don't think we're more tolerant I just think we're more politically correct about it. The Civil Rights Movement was good and some technology like microwaves; I won't say computers because social media is making many of us into narcissistic idiots for the most part. More people are in poverty now than have been in decades, just look at the number of people on welfare and food stamps. Our foreign policies are a joke. Personal responsibility and accountability are waning, no one tries to account for their own actions they blame others. Things like reality t.v. reward people lots of money for acting like complete morons. We're more divided than ever, basically it all went downhill after John F. Kennedy was killed.

Having been alive for a long long time. Heavens no. This is such a mess today.
The electronics are better. People arent more tolerant. If you go down the list in
this category--you'll find very polarized people intolerant of others views.
Entertainment has been so much better in the past. The glory days of Hollywood are over
Music in the 60's -70's was far superior than today.
People had real talent. Wrote their own songs --no voice modulators..
No need for a stage of dancers to detract from their singing ability
Living Standards are better mainly because everyone back then...lived within their means.
There were no credit cards back then.
This country mostly looks rich..because its all on a "charge card." will pay later system.
Thats why things like the housing bubble happened. People have things they cant afford.
Why the country is 16 trillion in debt.
Its all kind of an illusion of prosperity. Most of the prosperty in "on loan"
The media.. ha. Media and TV is a great brainwashing machine
If we didnt have the internet for an alternate viewpoint-- we would be in total darkness.
Not to mention you have a bunch of zombies walking around looking at their phones.
The public is addicted to "screens" of many types. They dont interact with people that are in
the same room

Yes