This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can a hate blog about myslef prevent potential employment?
02-28-2013, 11:15 AM
Can a hate blog about myslef prevent potential employment?
I saw a blogspot post a bully from school made about me from last year. I knew about it since summer, it's the first thing that appears when my full name is googled. It involved a facebook war her and a few friends started with me: screenshots of my replies (that were somewhat vulgar) and many photographs of myself I have posted over the years (This girl has never been my friend on Facebook, so I find it ridiculous that she went through all that trouble to make it)

My only concern is that will this hold me back later on -I am almost 17- and will potential employers hesitate from taking me if they background search me and see this? What about college admissions?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-28-2013, 11:18 AM

The majority of us a far to unimportant for someone to take the time and effort to go through and scour the internet and facebook for any bad things. Unless your name pops up as a match for the "Butcher of Lyons" or mass murdering fugitive most people really don't care.

Ads

02-28-2013, 11:20 AM

This is a cautionary tale about watching what you post online. Your replies that were vulgar could harm you with an employer, if they bother to look. As for photos of yourself, same answer. If they bother to look...and if they do, your employer could reject your resume or application as an example of your character.

As for college admissions, that's another issue. It may not matter but with more people doing searches online for potential candidates, employees, etc. it may be time for you to do damage control. Begin now cleaning up any pictures, old messages, etc as much as possible. On the internet a search on "archives" will bring up the old stuff, can't do anything about that.

But you can start to clean up your online image with more current activities that will bury your old stuff deeper making it unlikely anyone looking will go beyond a couple years.