This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Anyone else get this wierd facebook legal notice?
04-26-2013, 11:15 AM
Anyone else get this wierd facebook legal notice?
from legalnotice @ facebook mail . com

NOTICE OF PENDING CLASS ACTION AND NOTICE OF PROPOSED SETTLEMENT

ANGEL FRALEY V. FACEBOOK, INC.

You are receiving this e-mail because you may have been featured in a "Sponsored Story" on Facebook prior to December 3, 2012.

A federal court authorized this Notice. This is not a solicitation from a lawyer.

Why did I get this notice? This Notice relates to a proposed settlement ("Settlement") of a class action lawsuit ("Action") filed against Facebook relating to a particular Facebook feature called "Sponsored Stories." According to available records, you may be a "Class Member."

What is the Action about? The Action claims that Facebook unlawfully used the names, profile pictures, photographs, likenesses, and identities of Facebook users in the United States to advertise or sell products and services through Sponsored Stories without obtaining those users' consent. Facebook denies any wrongdoing and any liability whatsoever. No court or other entity has made any judgment or other determination of any liability.

What is a Sponsored Story? Sponsored Stories are a form of advertising that typically contains posts which appeared on facebook.com about or from a Facebook user or entity that a business, organization, or individual has paid to promote so there is a better chance that the posts will be seen by the user or entity's chosen audience. Sponsored Stories may be displayed, for example, when a Facebook user interacts with the Facebook service (including sub-domains, international versions, widgets, plug-ins, platform applications or games, and mobile applications) in certain ways, such as by clicking on the Facebook "Like" button on a business's, organization's, or individual's Facebook page. Sponsored Stories typically include a display of a Facebook user's Facebook name (i.e., the name the user has associated with his or her Facebook account) and/or profile picture (if the user has uploaded one) with a statement describing the user's interaction with the Facebook service, such as "John Smith likes UNICEF," "John Smith played Farmville," or "John Smith shared a link."

What relief does the Settlement provide? Facebook will pay $20 million into a fund that can be used, in part, to pay claims of Class Members (including Minor Class Members) who appeared in a Sponsored Story. Each participating Class Member who submits a valid and timely claim form may be eligible to receive up to $10. The amount, if any, paid to each claimant depends upon the number of claims made and other factors detailed in the Settlement. No one knows in advance how much each claimant will receive, or whether any money will be paid directly to claimants. If the number of claims made renders it economically infeasible to pay money to persons who make a timely and valid claim, payment will be made to the not-for-profit organizations identified on the Settlement website at http://www.fraleyfacebooksettlement.com (if clicking on the link does not work, copy and paste the website address into a web browser). These organizations are involved in educational outreach that teaches adults and children how to use social media technologies safely, or are involved in research of social media, with a focus on critical thinking around advertising and commercialization, and particularly with protecting the interests of children.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-26-2013, 11:20 AM

facebookmail.com is not actually the same thing as facebook.com

it's a site pretending to be facebook - report it as spam

let me guess, they also include a link which then prompts you for your email and password? that's a phishing email

Ads

04-26-2013, 11:27 AM

SPAM SPAM DOnT FALL FOR IT. report it and they will acknowledge you.
04-26-2013, 11:29 AM

I also just got this email about 30 minutes ago. It's a scam. Do not click on any of the links or reply to the email (that will let them know they've reached a working email address). Just report it as spam.
04-26-2013, 11:41 AM

Its a scam if you google the email address you will see how its moved from country to country all around the world over the past year or more.

I just got that too.. thought it was odd especially the facebookmail.com instead of just facebook.com.. Its probably the Nigerians at it again..
Those people posting its legit should post a legit webpage along with their proof to back up that it is legit..
04-26-2013, 11:43 AM

Actually, it's legitimate.
04-26-2013, 11:52 AM

I got that also. That's how i found this post. I've had about enough of this BS spammer stuff. I'm on FB looking for the dept. who sent that on another page. I'm sending that email to someone that telling them and HOPEFULLY they can stop at least the ones trying to imitate FB.
04-26-2013, 12:01 PM

I also just got that email, it's a scam report it.
04-26-2013, 12:14 PM

I Got The Same Message But I'm Confused I Got Scared When I Got It And Decided To Delete My Facebook But Is It True? & What Is It About Doe? O.o
04-26-2013, 12:20 PM

Its leggit!!
Look at this link
http://www.wcsh6.com/news/article/226793...k-is-legit