This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is it legal for schools to punish us for what we put on Facebook?
05-05-2013, 02:07 AM
Is it legal for schools to punish us for what we put on Facebook?
The assistant principal has gone on people's facebooks, and found out information about that person. She has then used that information to get kids in trouble. Can they use that information against us, if we post it and edit it on a home computer, and have nothing to do with school computers or networks?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2013, 02:16 AM

i don't think so. but if you are including information about the school, names of teachers, or staff, then yes.

Ads

05-05-2013, 02:21 AM

I would think not. But there have been cases of people making death threats on Facebook and they have been arrested and charged.
05-05-2013, 02:38 AM

look dude, if it isn't the assistant principle it could be someone else. you put your crap out there in public you should expect to get messed with. it's common sense.
05-05-2013, 02:44 AM

if the students allow the info to be made public, and the info involves things that happen at school or school sponsored activities, then yes.

It would be lik someone saying on facebook: "Hey, I robbed a bank at 5th and Main yesterday!" and the police investigating it if a robbery did happen there.
05-05-2013, 02:50 AM

i don't think that is right at all!
that is none of the school's business.
but at my local high school, they also do that and have gotten a lot of kids in some major trouble.
i don't think you can get into any trouble through the school, but they can call parents and notify them of it.
05-05-2013, 03:00 AM

I would think if what you are saying is putting others in danger, they could. Otherwise I wouldn't think so.
05-05-2013, 03:16 AM

Absolutely! If you are stupid enough to post pictures of yourself engaging in illegal activities what makes you think you are immune? Because you are as dumb as ****?

Your Facebook page is open for all to see. Would you walk into a police station and light a joint? Well, when you post such a picture on Facebook you have done that electronically.
05-05-2013, 03:30 AM

Not unless your talking about school, talking about things tha happen at school, or any school related thing. Teacheres arrent allowed to be involved in your personal life, theres a law against that!
05-05-2013, 03:39 AM

Most states have such things called "Reach" Laws that allow schools to conduct disciplinary action for incidents that happen off campus provided it affects the discipline and safety of other students on campus. Such things include fights, bullying, narcotics, and even cyber-crimes because these things tends to spill over onto school campuses and create unsafe learning environments for other students.

The moral decay within today's youth is very troubling. There's a reason people are punished for those things...it's because they are WRONG! Just do the right thing every time and you won't have to worry about.