This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is there a rule against political advertisement during the SUPERBOWL?
05-10-2013, 03:45 PM
Is there a rule against political advertisement during the SUPERBOWL?
My social studies teacher was under the impression that politicla advertising during the superbowl wasn’t allowed, yet Obama definitely had an ad and no one has said anything, maybe my teacher heard wrong? Has anyone else heard of this rule?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2013, 03:59 PM

Not illegal but impossible to comply with FCC regulations on that particular day according to this site. I guess the courts did make the exception on this event though, eh?

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/art...st_1057504

Fox says that it did not offer to sell ads during its Super Bowl telecast to presidential candidates in order to comply with FCC regulations regarding political advertising. A spokesman told Advertising Age that Fox would have refused to sell spots to any candidate because of an FCC rule requiring networks to offer equal opportunities to all candidates. He noted that since ad time was quickly grabbed up by commercial advertisers, it would have been impossible to sell spots during the game to all th e candidates. However, the trade publication noted that the courts have made exceptions for "unique, one-time only" broadcasts and have held that candidates may not dictate where their "equal opportunity" ads must be placed. This year's Super Bowl, which take s place on February 3, would have been a logical place for such ads, Ad Age observed, since it is held just two days before the Super Tuesday primaries

Ads

05-10-2013, 04:04 PM

?? That would be a MOST amusing violation of the 1st Amendment !! A quick check of the FEC (Federal Elections Commission's) website shows NO such restriction: http://www.fcc.gov/mb/policy/political/candrule.htm I saw NOTHING regarding the Superbowl or ANY sporting event.

The "Equal Time" issue that the first respondent mentions is for interview type appearances, NOT advertisements !!

Actually I think the SOLE restriction would be the sheer COST of purchasing ad time during the Superbowl !! BUT, if you have the money... The Supreme Court's ruling in Buckley v. Valeo (1976) held limits on expenditures made independently of a candidate's campaign could not be limited under the Constitution. If expenditures are made in "coordination" with a campaign, however, they may be regulated as contributions.

I am SHOCKED and DISMAYED that a Social Studies teacher would be so misinformed !!