This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I am not happy in New Jersey. I am debating moving.?
05-27-2013, 09:59 AM
I am not happy in New Jersey. I am debating moving.?
Basically I moved to Jersey after I graduated college due to getting jobs here. I recently got hired to work with the state of New Jersey in social services, but I've been miserable. I am really debating whether I should just get a job in Washington DC, quit the state job and move to Washington DC once I get a job there. Any suggestions? Should I quit my state job? and leave all of my hard work behind? How much money do you think I should have saved before moving?
I meant to say that I would quit the job once I got hired in Washington D.C and then move. Before doing this type of social service work, I use to be a clinician at a drug and alcohol treatment center and I enjoyed this type of work very much. I was then hired for the state and saw this as an opportunity to broaden my professionalism, however, the job is not what I thought I'd be. I am thinking of going back to becoming a clinician ...in Washington D.C. I just don't know whether this would be the right move since working for state has it's benefits too. I guess it's a matter of giving it some more time and allowing time to decide what's my next move. Thanks all for your feedback.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-27-2013, 10:08 AM

if you quit your job now who knows how long it will be before you get another.

Ads

05-27-2013, 10:16 AM

DC has a higher cost of living. Yes, they have higher wages too generally, but that may not necessarily be the case in your line of work.

You should market yourself on linkedin and actively search for jobs before cutting ties with your current employer. Some jobs will pay for you to travel down on amtrak and interview, if they are big deal enough and if you have an advanced degree. However, if you cannot afford to travel there, a phone interview is appropriate. Remember, the bus goes to DC too, but if you take a bus to an interview, you really must allow extra time. I would recommend you take amtrak down to be fresh and on time for an interview, then take the bus back when you can be more leisurely about it.

"just get a job in Washington DC, quit the state job and move to Washington DC once I get a job there. Any suggestions?" This sentence is way out of order. I hope this is what you meant:
1. Get a job in Washington
2. Quit the state job
3. Move to DC

omit the "once I get a job there" part because you already said #1. Do not do #2 or #3 until you have #1! Very important. I'm not kidding, rent in DC is probably 50% higher than you're used to paying now, unless you live in extreme North Jersey.

When quitting your state job, consider the effects this may have on your pension and retirement. Should you stay 10 years minimum in order to get "vested" even though you don't enjoy the work you went to college for? Depends on how much "hard work" and time you have already invested. But who is to say you will enjoy your job in DC more?