This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
what would social security be like now if President bush had managed to privatize it in 2000?
10-13-2012, 02:27 AM
what would social security be like now if President bush had managed to privatize it in 2000?
and he had put all the funds in the stock market like he had wanted to do?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-13-2012, 02:35 AM

Old people would be eating dog food and be happy it wasn't cat food.

Ads

No better off than it is now. Which means expect Social Security to be bankrupt within your lifetime.

Can you say soup kitchen?

There would be a lot of senior citizens contemplating moving into nice cardboard boxes and checking the prices of cat food.

They would be ruined. Thank God, the plan was not implemented.

The plan wasn't to private it all, it was for you to have a chance topull what you want out with a cap to use as you see fit. Even witht eh down turn of the market, the money pulled out at THAT time I would still be ahead! Try thinking ahead dude!

That all really depends on how many people would have invested the percentage they would be allowed to, and where they put their money. Most likely, most of that invested money would be gone (like my 401K). But you never know, it could have created a cushion against the bubble popping.

I'd like to see what would have happened if congress would have listened to Bush over the past 8 years and reigned in bad practices at Fannie and Freddie.

Civil war

Most elderly people now are just worried about where they're going to live because they were taken advantage of by the unregulated mortgage business riddled with criminals who talked them into reverse mortgages.

First off, Bush wasn't President in 2000. Secondly, he never wanted to put all the funds in the stock market. I believe the portion talked about was 25%. And like the other poster indicated, it probably wouldn't be any worse off than it is now, even with the fluctuations of the market at the moment.