This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Am i weird because I barely know things about tech and the new culture of my generation?
02-18-2014, 10:53 PM
Am i weird because I barely know things about tech and the new culture of my generation?
Really sorry about how long this is but please read. Well yes I'm old enough to have one but personally I feel like it is a waste of time. I can barely understand how fb and twitter works. I mean on fb, you are not going to really see ALL of those people that you friend are you? And what if they are creepers? what do you do then? And twitter seems really weird to me. Both of them to me seem like procrastination and that slows me down from doing stuff. But when I have to tell someone that I don't have one they call ME the hermit and laugh at me. You can't have 1,000 friends and think your social can you?

Then I barely know anything about what some young people talk about these days. Like the grammy stuff? I don't even watch it and when i tell people that i haven;t they ask "what is wrong with you?", and i go "I don't know why are you asking?.". I can't stand the new music right now like Justin Beaver(and whatever you you him) and Nicki Mina and One direction. When I listened to the Nicki song i hear it and i go "Wait haven't i heard this before?" because it doesn't seem new and it has no real meaning to it anymore. I listen to a lot of old stuff and people judge me for that too. They judge me for wearing clothes that actually fit me and doesn't show my butt all the time because I guess that's what's in now. And that's the only way guys will like you. They go "You have such a nice figure you should start wearing some better clothes." and I'm like slip you because I don't care. Sorry.

It's even worse because I'm young and most people my age have plenty of accounts and songs from those people. I'm just now getting accustomed to the whole "Technical thing" you know. I only have one account and it's my yahoo account. Not really used to always using the internet and text. People really laugh at me when I tell them I didn't know what text stuff like lol and omg is(which I do now but I don't know the rest). So I don't really know how to use the tablets people use either. But when I tell them about new books and things that have nothing to do with technology I'm told that i'm a weirdo. They also tell me that no guy will like someone who doesn't know what "lol" means even though I don't think that is true. I was never really into the tech stuff I love just living my life and talking to people in person. I love giving out random cool facts to people but they say I'm weird for that too.

Is there something wrong with me? Should I feel stupid and wrong for not being as tech savvy as the rest of my friends and generation are? I feel like I'm left out on a lot of things. I feel like the odd ball in conversations. Now I feel like this might effect me trying to find a guy who will understand the things I say because I act like a "hermit". Is this true? What man would want to be around a person that just figured out yesterday how to use "omg" and doesn't even know how to use a tablet? Should I be worried that I am not the same as most young people? Or am I fine just the way I am and I'm just overreacting? I'm in a complex situation right now and my studies in psychology is not helping me please tell me what I should do if this were you. What are your opinions to this?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-18-2014, 11:02 PM

Dont worry, you're not the only one who doesn't use or need fb or Twitter.
I hate all that crap. You seem like a normal down to earth genuine
Person that doesn't need tech stuff to be happy.its a shame how
The media and internet have taken over and most people just move
With the times to fit in with society.

Ads

02-18-2014, 11:17 PM

No, most people DON'T know how things work. (Most people, for instance, use microwave ovens but haven't a clue how they work and only vaguely know that "putting metal in them is bad".)

You're using Y!A, aren't you? Really, few people also know what things like "K7" ("cassette" in French) mean, or even MILF. LOL is pretty common, though it's changed from meaning "little old lady" in the 1960s to "laughing out loud when the person probably isn't" in the late 1990s-now.

And as far as that "friending" thing on Facebook (and you seem to know the abbrevation "fb"), it's just a bunch of hooey and you're not missing much. Nor (I think they stopped this, because it was kind of ridiculous) would you be consider "weird" if you had absolutely no idea about how one of those 1000 "friends" can give you barnyard animals. Twitter is just for mindless people who also love the sound of their own voice or the look of their typing ("I decide I like vanilla ice cream" or "I had a bowel movement today at 8am").
02-18-2014, 11:32 PM

I read the whole thing and I think you hate today's generation. I think other homo sapiens your age might think your weird but i don't think elderly people will think you're weird considering the majority of them don't even know how to use a cell phone. HAHA i do have to admit i thought it was kind of weird that you didn't know what "lol" or "omg" meant.

As far as music goes, I totally agree with you. Music today just sounds terrible to me; and what's even worse is they play the same songs over and over again. I also do not watch the grammys because I think it's stupid. I got tired of the music and started listening to the 70's and 80's like AC/DC and Supertramp.

With me being a Facebook User, I have over 500 friends. I don't think it's weird to not have a Facebook account because I have some friends that don't even have one. Some of My Facebook friends are people I never talk to in School. Some of them are relatives of my friends lol (laugh out loud). I set up a Twitter account and I thought that that was kind of stupid. I didn't like Twitter at all.

If you think you're weird, I have never seen popular movies like Transformers, The Batman movies, etc.. Or played Call of Duty, Halo, Black Ops, and all those popular games that are out today that the nerds talk about. In fact I did play call of Duty once at my friends house and thought it was stupid. Now, he doesn't invite me over to his house anymore probably because i'm not a gamer like he is. I have a Playstation 2 and I'll play it once in a while when i'm bored.

Bottom line, I don't think your weird, I think you should just be yourself.