This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
the new facebook "know whose viewing your profile 24/7" group?
02-19-2014, 02:19 AM
the new facebook "know whose viewing your profile 24/7" group?
surely that's an invasion of privacy? and against some sort of law?

If you don't know what it is, when you sign up to it you get notified when someone views your facebook profile/pictures . . .

thanks!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2014, 02:34 AM

It's one of those fake groups. If it was real then Facebook would have already put that in.

Ads

02-19-2014, 02:40 AM

Its fake, dont worry. If it was real, you wouldnt need to join a group in order to enable/disable it... THink about it - it would have been under your settings... Smile
02-19-2014, 02:56 AM

I have said it a million times, don’t put your information, picture, life and anything else all over a social networking site and then start screaming about “invasion of privacy”. Why do people join social networking sites then get upset about social networking occuring around them?
02-19-2014, 02:59 AM

It's not real, but if it were, it would NOT be an invasion of privacy. Anything you put out on the internet is public information. Anything is fair game. You don't want people to see your stuff? Don't put it out there.
02-19-2014, 03:07 AM

So I sign up and I get notified if someone views my stuff? How is that an INVASION OF PRIVACY? What you don't want people knowing you looked at their profile? Too bad for you, don't go look at it. Even if this was real it wouldn't cover an invasion of privacy. If I wrote a book you can't buy it and say no one is allowed to know you bought it. It's my right to know who is looking at my profile.
02-19-2014, 03:18 AM

How exactly would that be an invasion of privacy?
02-19-2014, 03:34 AM

First of all, the "invasion of privacy" logically refers to the privacy of the person _viewing_ the profile. NOT the person(s) whose profile(s) are _being viewed_. So this has nothing to do with "don't put personal information online if you don't want others to see it", that's irrelevant here. Just mentioning this because other answers here seem to miss the point.

I quote from the Facebook Help pages, always a good place to start -- section "Privacy Fundamentals" says,

----
"Applications CANNOT track profile visits for users who simply go to another person's profile; Facebook has made this technically impossible.

In order to be tracked by an application, you will need to specifically agree to allow the application to track your actions.

Adding an application that provides this functionality is purely optional. If you do not want to participate, please do not add the application to your account."
----

That should be clear enough. Hope that helps.
02-19-2014, 03:35 AM

I'm fairly certain that the application merely adds a button to your profile, and your friends will have to CLICK the button to let you know they've been there. And the notification it generates is probably just like any 'farmville' etc. notification.
02-19-2014, 03:41 AM

I don't know that it's a scam, but it certainly isn't genuine and if it were, how useful would it be? Just think about it, if you have concerns about people looking at your profile or pictures, just set your privacy settings to friends only, or even to specific friends. Then assume that everybody in that list is looking. Simple.